Central NC Bass lakes

Stilhuntin

Four Pointer
What are the better bass lakes for fishing in a Jon boat with electric motor in central NC?
Jordan, Harris and the other big lakes are problematic for a small Jon boat.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Get on google maps and start looking for smaller water(lakes, rivers, etc) and go explore. There are a lot of smaller bodies of water in central nc.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get on google maps and start looking for smaller water(lakes, rivers, etc) and go explore. There are a lot of smaller bodies of water in central nc.
The above is good advice……Lake Mickey…north of Durham, University Lake….Carrboro, cane creek resovoir, between Carrboro and Graham……I think there’s a couple around Burlington that are smaller too. Good luck

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lake Lucas and Lake Reese in Asheboro are both excellent....
Yep, add to that the north end of Randleman@ SW Park, and you've got some really good options in that area for an electric boat.

Salem lake in Winston used to be good, but I haven't been there in years. High Point city lake had some big ones. Thom-a-lex isn't bad.

"Central NC" is a big area though. Not sure where you're really looking.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Salem lake still produces good fish, but not at the moment. We have it pulled way down for repairs. It will be a while before it’s full and people are allowed to get on it again.

Now I have to find a new “go to” lake for kayak fishing.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Salem lake still produces good fish, but not at the moment. We have it pulled way down for repairs. It will be a while before it’s full and people are allowed to get on it again.

Now I have to find a new “go to” lake for kayak fishing.
well if there is any way possible get your kayak on it while it is pulled down. having them "hemmed it" at this time of year is as good as it gets.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
What are the better bass lakes for fishing in a Jon boat with electric motor in central NC?
Jordan, Harris and the other big lakes are problematic for a small Jon boat.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks
jordan has several "sub reservoirs" that are cut off from the main lake that are perfect for a jon boat.
The one at pea ridge road is the biggest, the one at seaforth/parker creek probably the best. The one at whiteoak creek is good as well.
canoers wear out the fearrington section of jordan, launch your jon there and take a hard right and fish bush creek. Enough to be caught there to last you the rest of your fishing career.

Stilhuntin

Four Pointer
jordan has several "sub reservoirs" that are cut off from the main lake that are perfect for a jon boat.
The one at pea ridge road is the biggest, the one at seaforth/parker creek probably the best. The one at whiteoak creek is good as well.
canoers wear out the fearrington section of jordan, launch your jon there and take a hard right and fish bush creek. Enough to be caught there to last you the rest of your fishing career.
Thanks will check it out

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I decided last year that I’m not wasting time on Harris especially when I don’t get to go up there enough to stay on the bass.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
If you were at shearon Harris I bet there was some time wasted lol.

we had a pretty good day, just didn't get on the big ones. I think I caught one of a jig, nothing on the crank baits, everything on a worm.

but yesterday would've been the day for the cast net and slip bobber.

Levi

Spike
If you are close to Virginia, check out there wma lakes. They have 37 lakes that are trolling motor only. And they are well managed with good bass .

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Most places are way to clear for the spinnerbait bite to be really good right now but the water temp is perfect for it
a smallmouth guy like you would have to know how a spinnerbait fished at blazing speeds on top works in clear water.
Numerous boats have been won this time of year at Buggs Island with spinnerbaits on the rocks in the mid main lake area, and it's always clear as a bell now, Of course wind helps ; clouds even better. but at times in clear water a spinnerbait shines.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
a smallmouth guy like you would have to know how a spinnerbait fished at blazing speeds on top works in clear water.
Numerous boats have been won this time of year at Buggs Island with spinnerbaits on the rocks in the mid main lake area, and it's always clear as a bell now, Of course wind helps ; clouds even better. but at times in clear water a spinnerbait shines.

I don’t doubt it at all. In my personal experience fish up north react very different to a spinnerbait than fish down here. First time I ever went up north I couldn’t believe how well both LM and SM would eat a spinnerbait in that drinking clear water. I’ve never been able to catch them on a spinnerbait anywhere in the south where it’s clear except at night unless there is a mudline generated by wind. Some of those lake Norman guys swear that those fish love a spinnerbait but I can count on less than 1 hand how many bass I’ve caught in that lake on a spinnerbait in the daylight. Same for belews, badin, and several other clear lakes. That water gets a little color to it and some wind and I can knock their lights out with it during November. I’ve only caught a couple on it so far this fall. The swim jig and the buzzbait is much more effective for me this time of year when in clear water.