Cellular cameras

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Looking at getting a cellular camera. What are you using with good results?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Used the Moultrie Mobile with the xa 7000 camera this year. Worked pretty good, and had good customer service. Very affordable too.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the responses. Looked at several different brands, ended up ordering the spypoint evo. Like what seems to be easy setup and cheap monthly service. Hopefully I'll be satisfied.

tgr95

Spike
Thanks for the responses. Looked at several different brands, ended up ordering the spypoint evo. Like what seems to be easy setup and cheap monthly service. Hopefully I'll be satisfied.

Yes I have 1 Evo and 4 Link Micros. I think you’ll be pleased. Make sure to format your camera’s SD card 1st before using, use energizer lithium batteries, and update the firmware in your cam before setting up in the field. The latest firmware will be on Spypoint’s website. Enjoy. I love my cell cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Yes I have 1 Evo and 4 Link Micros. I think you’ll be pleased. Make sure to format your camera’s SD card 1st before using, use energizer lithium batteries, and update the firmware in your cam before setting up in the field. The latest firmware will be on Spypoint’s website. Enjoy. I love my cell cameras.

This plus, on the monthly plans once you hit your photo limit the camera will continue to take photos but as soon as the month rolls over all those non-transferred photos will automatically transfer taking a bite out of the next months photo count. Something to be aware of.

tgr95

Spike
This plus, on the monthly plans once you hit your photo limit the camera will continue to take photos but as soon as the month rolls over all those non-transferred photos will automatically transfer taking a bite out of the next months photo count. Something to be aware of.

So that’s how it works. Glad you pointed out. I also finally figured out that you can see your monthly pic reset date on the Spypoint website in My Account when you login. Never could find it within the app. I run a mix of free plans and the 250 pic plans on mine depending on how much activity each cam picks up. They’re pretty reliable and I think best and cheapest option to start out with a cellular cam.

tgr95

Spike
Is that $10 per camera?

Yes, $10 per camera. Here’s Spypoints plan options.
2b2e0b30322e498556188f076ef29733.jpg

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Probably best to pay by the month. I really don’t need the year plan but I like them so much figured I’d just leave out year round. After plan runs out I might do one camera month to month and other year round.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got an EVO and two micros. The micros must have a trace amount of moisture in them because I get cloudy photos occasionally when it is very wet out. I plan on sending them back to the manufacturer during the off season. They have been fairly reliable aside from that.

Make sure to format the SD card every time that seems to fix most problems.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Looking at getting a cellular camera. What are you using with good results?

I've been using the Covert Wireless Cameras for years. They work well and have great battery life. Typically I get 90 days or more out of one set of batteries on them. We put out a couple spypoint micros this year also and they work well also. Between the two, the coverts take better pictures, have much longer battery life, and has a much nicer app experience. The spypoint; however, seems to be a little bit better in its trigger and timing. I get tons of photos with both but have observed deer walk by the Covert that it misses. I havent witnessed that with the spypoints yet.

The coverts cost 2-3 times as much as the spypoints MSRP. However, I routinely find the Covert Code Blacks for $200 and the Spypoint Micros for $100. The plans on the coverts are slightly cheaper if you are running multiple cameras. You pay for a base photo package for the first camera and each additional camera is $5. I'm running 7 cameras and currently pay $40 a month for them to share 5000 photos and I can pause them or turn them off at anytime.

I'm pleased with both but plan to keep using the coverts on private land and will gamble with the spypoints on public land.

mann919

Button Buck

Does the Evo seem to be alot better than the micros. I have 4 micros as well been thinking about get a evo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tgr95

Spike
Does the Evo seem to be alot better than the micros. I have 4 micros as well been thinking about get a evo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For me, the Micros perform just as well as my Evo. I haven’t really noticed a big difference in performance or picture quality. By the way, you won’t get super sharp images with most any cell cam due to file size and upload limitations, but it’s still good enough to count points on a bucks rack and save you trips pulling SD cards. I’d buy more Micros (and I have) before paying the higher cost for an Evo. Over Christmas, Academy and Dick’s were selling em for $99. You really can’t go wrong trying out a cell cam at that price.

drhunter1

Four Pointer
I've had the Evo for a few years and got the Micro this past fall. I really like them both but I put an 8 dollar antenna from amazon on the Micro because it wasn't receiving a signal in my hunting spot. It works great now. A few differences are the Micro doesn't have video option, it uses a micro sd card instead of a standard, it doesn't show how many bars you have, just red, yellow or green. I would buy either one again.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The trigger on the Micro is amazing. I clear pics of midflight birds all the time. I wish there was a way to exclude bird pics from bein sent to me. lol It eats up the batteries.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The trigger on the Micro is amazing. I clear pics of midflight birds all the time. I wish there was a way to exclude bird pics from bein sent to me. lol It eats up the batteries.
If they did I need one for rabbits. I get about 3 hrs a night of rabbits

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Just a follow up on the spypoint I ordered. It works great so far. Took all of two minutes to set up and get going. The picture quality is decent. Over all im well pleased so far.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You’ll find when you look at pictures from card it takes a very high quality pictures

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Pics look good to me especially for the price point.
I may have to buy one in the near future.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk