Cedar Island

Browning86

Six Pointer
Going to have a day between duck hunting to do some fishing. Wont have a boat but is it worth taking some rods? I’ve never been to cedar island but I saw some jetties on google maps. What’s gonna be biting mid January and what do we need to throw?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Yes I would take some rods. I would throw Berkeley gulps on 1/4 or 3/8 jig heads. I would ride a bit more towards Morehead and fish some of the creeks. Trout have been around per a guy at work that has a place down that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimmer

Six Pointer
If no boat take your waders and go to wards creek bridge. There will be others out there as well. Fishing around here is very dependant on temps this time of yr but with the warm weather we've had the trout are still biting

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Storm suspending shad with a bait lure spray.

Bass fluke or stick bait.
I like to press a treble hook to my main hook for strait rigging and use a little o ring for wacky stick baits.

Use a braid leader.

Trout is the winter species off the jetties. Find a guide to take you to the cape lookout jettie at night.

If the bite is tough go to a 3” gulp minnow on a 16thoz jig head and throw on light 6# line with a 6-10” braid leader.

redbow

Ten Pointer

I like to press a treble hook to my main hook for strait rigging and use a little o ring for wacky stick baits.

Use a braid leader.

Trout is the winter species off the jetties. Find a guide to take you to the cape lookout jettie at night.

If the bite is tough go to a 3” gulp minnow on a 16thoz jig head and throw on light 6# line with a 6-10” braid leader.

Stay away from braid leader. Use braid for main line and use mono or flouro for leader.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns

Use a braid leader.

Stay away from braid leader. Use braid for main line and use mono or flouro for leader.

Have you ever looked in a trouts mouth?
Either throw full braid or a braid leader.
You fish mono or flouro you will get cut off.

We aren’t bass fishing here. Trouts teeth are super sharp.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I’ve been trout fishing for over 35 years and can’t ever remember a bite off. Maybe a deep hooked fish sawing my mono or fluro off every now and then but never a bite off.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Have you ever looked in a trouts mouth?
Either throw full braid or a braid leader.
You fish mono or flouro you will get cut off.

We aren’t bass fishing here. Trouts teeth are super sharp.

Checking your leader for fraying/wear will solve 99% of your problems with being cut off. Granted I have never tried it but I can't imagine braid being decent leader material.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Sharp teeth mean you dont use braid, you have it backwards. Also trout have pointy teeth, but not sharp edges. dont think ive ever had one cut a line. When fishing for toothy fish you always use a flouro or mono leader. Braid cuts like butter with tension on it and a sharp edge.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry you guys are right. For inshore 2-4# trout mono flouro fine. Fishing sand flats and sandy ditches or structure.

I should have cleared I was more speaking in regards of fishing the big fat 4-10 # trout off the rock jetties and structure that will break you off.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It really doesn't matter much if they are biting. Just tie something on with whatever you have. Personally I use a fluro leader but I have broken that off on oysters and was to lazy to tie another one on so I went straight to the braid. I didn't notice a difference, just keep tabs on how your line is doing.

redbow

Ten Pointer
It really doesn't matter much if they are biting. Just tie something on with whatever you have. Personally I use a fluro leader but I have broken that off on oysters and was to lazy to tie another one on so I went straight to the braid. I didn't notice a difference, just keep tabs on how your line is doing.
You make a good point. Anything MAY work at any given time, but braid is absolutely NOT the best choice for leader when fishing for speckled trout.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
the best choice no but it's also not a deal breaker. You may have to retie more often and I hope the OP catches so many its actually a problem.

An unpopular opinion is that I use 200lb mono on my shark rigs over wire and cable. Is it the best, cable may be better but it works and I rarely ever get bitten off plus I noticed big drum hit the mono more frequently.
All I'm saying is people get caught up in "this is what you have to use to catch X"

redbow

Ten Pointer
the best choice no but it's also not a deal breaker. You may have to retie more often and I hope the OP catches so many its actually a problem.

An unpopular opinion is that I use 200lb mono on my shark rigs over wire and cable. Is it the best, cable may be better but it works and I rarely ever get bitten off plus I noticed big drum hit the mono more frequently.
All I'm saying is people get caught up in "this is what you have to use to catch X"
I never said you have to use anything, hell use whatever you want. I was just saying braid is not the best leader material. It seemed to me that the OP was the one saying you had to use braid.

BackCreek

Spike
Yes carry some trout rods, ride back off Cedar Island to the first little bridge (John Day's Ditch) on the side towards West Bay South side you can stand on the side and cast down the creek and catch trout and blues. Use various soft plastics, Zman shrimp, swimming mullet etc. or mirror lures if you have them. A tried and true tactic is a popping cork with a vudu shrimp or gulp shrimp. Also on past that bridge the Thorofare bridge (high rise) you can park and walk under the bridge and catch some fish under it. A lot of the bridges on down the way will hold trout this time of year on rising or falling tide.
Good Luck and enjoy your stay Down East.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
10 lb braid with a 36 inch 10-12 lb floro leader. Never had an issue with bite offs. A lot of times people say they are bite off but it’s from abrasions to the line in the water from structure. Suspending baits would be my first choice. If night fishing get a black or dark purple suspending twitch bait.