CCL Ligament Repair on my GSP...

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Anyone here had CCL tendon repair on their dog?
Looking for advice or recommendations about the process?

Recent pricing? Rehab experiences? Other issues?

Any good vet surgeons up here in WNC???

Gonna have to have it done... 6 year old dog. Shes got way too much more hunting in her.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My roommate from college is a veterinarian. He says 6 weeks of kennel confinement has the same % success rate as the surgery costing about $3K. I'd do some research.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have known a couple people that have had dogs done over the years. As stated about 6 weeks of confinement. Don't be surprised or astonished with the loss of muscle as the leg will atrophy quite a bit during the confinement especially if they put it in a cast. Once they allow the dog to start back just routine movement on a leash you will see it start to rebound and once it is able to go back to regular use of it you will be amazed at just how fast they will be back to normal.

What you do have to do is adhere strictly to what the vet says about the structure of confinement. I had one that was injured badly in an accident years ago. He broke one hip in two places and the opposite leg in three. I thought his hunting career was over. He was in strict confinement for 4 weeks, we had to suspend him so he wouldn't urinate and defecate on himself. Urine burns are horrendous things to deal with. Then after 4 weeks he had to be kenneled so he could hardly move and only was let out only on a leash to do his business 4 times per day for 3 more weeks. He rebounded and had a totally productive life for years afterward.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for all the responses so far.
with new baby and new business, I dont want to be spending money I don’t need to.

we may try structured confinement first and see if there’s turnaround.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for all the responses so far.
with new baby and new business, I dont want to be spending money I don’t need to.

we may try structured confinement first and see if there’s turnaround.
Have you gotten a second opinion on the diagnosis?

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hopefully the pup heals soon. GSP is a great bread. Mine is not letting me forget it's past dinner time for her.

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
TPLO is the best option for an athletic dog, gonna run $2,000-$4,000+ depending on where you go.

Rehab will be long, most protocols are 4 months before returning to "limited normal activity". Starts with passive exercises ramps up to short leash walks, then more strenuous leash walks, etc.

The good thing about TPLO is the success rate is very high, but it is a long process of restricting movement and rehab.

If it's not too far, I'd let Dr. Parsons at Kanuga Animal Clinic in Hendersonville take a look.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
TPLO is the best option for an athletic dog, gonna run $2,000-$4,000+ depending on where you go.

Rehab will be long, most protocols are 4 months before returning to "limited normal activity". Starts with passive exercises ramps up to short leash walks, then more strenuous leash walks, etc.

The good thing about TPLO is the success rate is very high, but it is a long process of restricting movement and rehab.

If it's not too far, I'd let Dr. Parsons at Kanuga Animal Clinic in Hendersonville take a look.
We’ve got a consult at a surgeon in the morning. See what they say.
Thanks!!!
i feel bad for my girl. She doesn’t understand why we can’t play like normal

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Well... no surgery.

CCL is fine.
looks like a quadricep injury this winter caused calcification on the patella and tendon. Now the tendinitis is getting rough and some fluid in the knee.

should get better with full lockdown for a few weeks and some pt

Reactions: RJ1

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well... no surgery.

CCL is fine.
looks like a quadricep injury this winter caused calcification on the patella and tendon. Now the tendinitis is getting rough and some fluid in the knee.

should get better with full lockdown for a few weeks and some pt
So this is the forth consult and it overrules the other three?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First was with vet and their radio guy. they said CCL.

today was with an ortho guy. he is firmly convinced there’s no actual ligament/tendon tear.
Ok, I was just confused. I had previously asked if you had gotten a second opinion and you had said "yep. And a third".