Caught my biggest ever bluegill today...

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...at Kerr Lake, actually seems smaller in the picture than he did in my hand. Measured at 10 3/4" and then released it. I actually thought I was hung up at first, then it started taking drag. Using a 5' ultralight rod and 4# test line, it was a good fight. Lure was a trout rigged 1/16 oz. white Rooster Tail, I had added some pink spots and changed the blade color from silver to gold with a magic marker, as I frequently do. It was a good day to be on the water, but pretty hot in an aluminum boat when the sun is out.

bluegill.png

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It’s not a bluegill, it’s a redear (aka shellcracker).
Yep, a buddy in SC corrected me pretty quickly and I'm sure you guys are right. Like red neck Richie I typically call them all bream. Except when fishing up in PA, folks up there call them all "sunnies". When I use 'bream" up there they literally don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Yep, a buddy in SC corrected me pretty quickly and I'm sure you guys are right. Like red neck Richie I typically call them all bream. Except when fishing up in PA, folks up there call them all "sunnies". When I use 'bream" up there they literally don't know what I'm talking about.
Yankees

JoeR

Eight Pointer
You could at least learn the lingo when you move down! You know the whole when in Rome thing.

As a transplanted Yankee, I've got no problem with this! I called them Sunnies all my life.
The other one is that down here you call a Woodchuck a Groundhog.
I still mess that one up.

I tell everyone I didn't move here to change things. I moved here because I like things the way they are.
As a funny side note, when I moved here my neighbors tiptoed around the Yankee thing. Now that they know me they bust my chops about it, like they should!
Joe