Catfish Recipes....aside from Fried. Whatcha got?

Donovan

Spike
Seems this summer has been pretty okay to me as far as Catfish go. Got plenty of 2 to 3 pounds Channels and some White Catfish filleted up in the freezer (still haven't taken a run at flatheads yet, sadly). That said, I was wondering if anyone had any catfish recipes, aside from the classic fried. Don't get me wrong, a whisker fish after its had a right and proper hot oil bath is where it's at, but I'd like to avoid too much of a good thing, lest it lose its luster.

I was thinking I might track down an etouffee recipe, or at least try my hand at a Po Boy...but I'm definitely interested in whatever you folks may have (aside from that stupid joke about cooking it on a cedar plank or stone then throwing the fish away and eating the stone).

Thanks
Donovan

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
^^^^^what he said

In no particular order ( yeah right)

Fried
Blackened
Grilled
Baked
Fish stew
And it really works for what my youngest and I call “white fish and tofu in red chile sauce” (a schezuan Chinese dish)

That should keep you busy

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I like to pat it down with a cajun season and let it sit.
Heat a cast iron pan, melt some butter and after good an hot place in cast iron then flip, just want a little color. After that place in hot oven, turn off and let it rest in the oven for 5 minutes or time to plate.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds crazy.
Power wash whole fish.
Cut head and fins and tale off. Chunk up.
Rub with curry and spice.
In a pot with 1/2” oil
Fry peppers garlic and onion, lemon grass. When brown lay the catfish chunks in and fill with an inch of water. Cover and steam until done.
Serve over white rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sounds crazy.
Power wash whole fish.
Cut head and fins and tale off. Chunk up.
Rub with curry and spice.
In a pot with 1/2” oil
Fry peppers garlic and onion, lemon grass. When brown lay the catfish chunks in and fill with an inch of water. Cover and steam until done.
Serve over white rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya don't skin it? Your part Asian aren't you!!!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^^^^what he said

In no particular order ( yeah right)

Fried
Blackened
Grilled
Baked
Fish stew
And it really works for what my youngest and I call “white fish and tofu in red chile sauce” (a schezuan Chinese dish)

That should keep you busy
Fish stew is something I just can't like. My parents loved catfish stew. I have honestly tried to like it and can't. Go figure, I absolutely love clam chowder and oyster stew. As a side note I love tuna salad and hate chicken or turkey salad. So I guess that explains it.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I did this for my wife who told me ten minutes before breading that she didn't want it breaded/fried.

I soaked the fish in saltwater overnight, soaked in milk most of the day, then coated it in lemon-saffron seasoning that we got as a gift, in with some hot olive oil. She loved it.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
I like it blackened with blackened redfish magic seasoning ...bit if your fish are 8+ pounds the senues .tendons.or veins.not sure what they are strongly resemble worms ..so I generally cut mine finger size roll in house autry medium hot breader and fry the shjjt out of em

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I take the fillets and but them in a baking dish rube down with dijon mustard salt and pepper a little lemon juice and bake. wife and I like it alot.