Catfish management plan

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like the WRC is drafting a catfish management plan and it will be discussed at the WRC's December meetings

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They are proposing a 5 catfish (all species) limit for the Pee Dee River downstream of Blewett Falls Lake for the upcoming rule changes.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The better get their head out of their butt and do it elsewhere. What I was told wasn't necessarily a small creel limit but a creel limit or a slot limit on big fish which makes a whole lot more sense.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Catfish
1) Establish an exception to the general statewide regulation for catfish in the Pee Dee River downstream of Blewett Falls Dam to the South Carolina state line and all tributaries by implementing a daily creel limit of five catfish in combination.

Justification: This reach of the Pee Dee River supports a popular catfish fishery, and anglers have expressed concern about overharvest, especially given the amount of habitat available varies substantially with flow from dam releases. The proposed daily creel limit for catfish would prevent excessive harvest. 15A NCAC 10C .0401 Manner of Taking Nongame Fishes (pages 32 and 33)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I'm just posting what they approved yesterday to bring forward to the public hearings this winter.

I don't know a thing about the catfish population in that area.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Those that know me will know I'm not a fan of letting stuff grow... I look at it as if it is legal and I want to eat it, I catch it, shoot it and eat it....

Never never just passed a deer big or small if I needed the meat. I dont care about trophies, dont care for all the crap with horns or horn size.....

Then I get back to catfishing. Fished them for years and years then stopped and moved on. Most that was just to fish the river and catch a few. Never got the big ones then just good catch or some eaters.
Now that I got back into it full swing again I look at them different for some reason..

Don't know what it is. Guess that all the time in the past I was just hunting and fishing for food. Never seen some pass on a goose, pass on a wood duck or legal game. Most the time I have been out there it was for meat.

Started catching bigger cats a lot now, guess that changed me. I have went fishing and got 100 lbs or better worth of catfish and let them all go. Yep time to time I would keep some smaller ones but something inside me changed.
Not going to fight with a jugger or someone running lines but I think at this point I can see what some of you get so uptight about horns.... Damn sure would be pissed at some of the guys bulk catch just for sale to ponds....

Guess it may have to do with the fisheries in other states that are being wiped out.
They would have weigh ins in the 100 to 200lb now they are luckey to get 25 to 50 lbs....

Not going to pass on a deer I want to eat it just for age or horns... but I have went to turning most all cats back... will keep a few 5 to 10lb cats from time to time for the wife.

If the same logic was used on cats as deer we should shoot the little does and buttons and keep all the big deer.....
Let the trophy stay in the field so others can see them.....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
good for you gadget. many progress on the fish and deer killing.

I cant follow you catfish deer logic but at least you aren't killing every fish you catch.

The catfish appreciate it as does the next guy to get a chance to catch them.

Besides they are dangerous to eat as you know.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
surprised they are even considering a limit on the Lower Pee Dee as Most of the Catfish there are NON NATIVE and they are trying to to Protect the Endangered Robust Redhorse not to mention the many species of anadromous fish that use this river and need help.
I for one luv to catch big cats but this makes no sense when it comes to the health of the river.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
surprised they are even considering a limit on the Lower Pee Dee as Most of the Catfish there are NON NATIVE and they are trying to to Protect the Endangered Robust Redhorse not to mention the many species of anadromous fish that use this river and need help.
I for one luv to catch big cats but this makes no sense when it comes to the health of the river.
Look at the trout they jump through their butt for that aren't native. Doesn't mean they aren't a great recreational fishery.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Or walleye in places like Lake James and Lake Gaston.................
That is true but none of those waters has anadromous. Fish. I would bet you that If the biologist had the final say that the limit isn't happening but public pressure can change things and lots of times public pressure trumps common sense and sound biology.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is true but none of those waters has anadromous. Fish. I would bet you that If the biologist had the final say that the limit isn't happening but public pressure can change things and lots of times public pressure trumps common sense and sound biology.
You might be surprised, one of the biologist fishes with me regularly and has always said that the large breeders needed some type of protection. In fact 20 years ago he stood up in one of meetings and said as much prior to him being a biologist. It went over like a fart in church at that time.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

I’m guessing the biologists signed off on this change.

5 big mature catfish per day is still pretty liberal in my opinion

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
well the ones that want protection for a non native fish imho are not doing there profession any good. Damn the fish that were here and need help. I have had one "get on to me" for releasing them. maybe in 30 years when the Big head carp gets here the biologist will want them. "hey they are fun to shoot out of the back of Jon boats"

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
well the ones that want protection for a non native fish imho are not doing there profession any good. Damn the fish that were here and need help. I have had one "get on to me" for releasing them. maybe in 30 years when the Big head carp gets here the biologist will want them. "hey they are fun to shoot out of the back of Jon boats"
As I said I bet you won't find a one speak against trout regs, most of them are as native as kudzu.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No you haven't but you keep harping on regs for non native fishes, that has been going on for years. Just like there are regs for non native game here also.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
It is not "harping" most biologist would agree that native fishes are higher priority than non natives. most biologist get it, some dont. My Biggest "harp" as you call it is with the white perch white bass saga. most anglers hate the white perch and denounce it for harming white bass populations but in fact the white perch is native to the eastern 1/3 of the state and the white bass, well maybe 1 percent of the state had a native population of white bass and that maybe high.

I have no problem with people keeping big cats or releasing them. I will catch them either way.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’m surprised the WRC didn’t propose the regs in place on several lakes that limit you to 1 big catfish a day but unlimited smaller ones.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
That would be a sensible way to go about it.
And that’s with a commercial fishery in several of the lakes. I helped a grad student from a different university a couple years ago. He was looking at size comparisons in blues and channels in commercial versus non commercially fished lakes. I never read his thesis completely but he did tell me that the lakes that were commercially fished had much better growth rates among blues and channels than the lakes where comm fishing was not allowed due to advisories.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And that’s with a commercial fishery in several of the lakes. I helped a grad student from a different university a couple years ago. He was looking at size comparisons in blues and channels in commercial versus non commercially fished lakes. I never read his thesis completely but he did tell me that the lakes that were commercially fished had much better growth rates among blues and channels than the lakes where comm fishing was not allowed due to advisories.
Pay lake harvest and glory riders that throw them in the ditch once they have rode them around in the back of the tuck to they stink hurt the big fish much more than anything here.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Kentucky recommending restrictions on catfish

FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 4, 2018) —
The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission has proposed new regulations establishing statewide limits on trophy catfish, and proposed tightening existing regulations on the commercial harvest of large catfish and their use by pay lakes. Commission members, at their Sept. 28 quarterly meeting, also approved three wildlife studies of bears, bobcats and otters.

https://kentucky.gov/Pages/Activity-stream.aspx?n=FishandWildlife&prId=315

A proposal approved by the commission would limit anglers to one trophy catfish of each species a day. This trophy regulation, already in place on the Ohio River, would expand statewide. Anglers could keep one blue and one flathead catfish 35 inches or longer, and one channel catfish 28 inches or longer each day. Anglers could still keep an unlimited number of catfish shorter than trophy length, except on waters with special regulations for catfish.