Catching Up Report

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
As usual one of my very normal long posts. Read at your option,

So very much has happened over the last eight months. As some of you know I became a wimp and moved to Florida for the winter. At first things went well as I did some much needed tender loving care on the home I purchased. On 16 Mar 19 I got an early phone call. My mother who has been in a nursing home for several years passed away. I returned to NC for a few days. A very sad and trying time but I was able to accept that because I know she is with her maker and no longer suffering. .

I returned to Fla with my best friend in the world, Shorty. Not long afterward he had a seizure and I'm convinced that he actually died but some how I worked with him and brought him back. I rushed him to the emergency Vets office. That was followed by a lengthy two weeks time of trial and error trying to determine what was wrong. After three more seizures it appeared that they had finally found the correct medication and Shorty seemed to be doing well.

I discovered that I had again developed a hernia while in Fla but delayed surgery until I returned to NC. After arrival in NC I scheduled surgery and found that I had a double hernia. The surgery was performed on 6 Jun 19 and all went well. On 16 Jul 19 I again underwent another surgical procedure. Again all went well but the next day my world turned upside down. I was restricted from driving for a few days so I was driven home after the surgery. The following morning I had just finished brushing my teeth when I heard a strange noise. At first I thought it was Shorty pushing his food bowl then I realized it was something else. I rushed into my bed room to find Shorty having another seizure. It appeared to be a much milder seizure and he did not completely go out but I worked with him until I felt he was recovering and eventually he was able to stand up by himself. He walked into the dining room and I called my brother to take us to the vet.

Before my brother arrived Shorty had another seizure. I worked with him and finally he recovered. We got him to the vet and they began running tests and wanted to keep him for more tests and observation so I agreed to let them keep him. I returned home About noon the vet called and said he seemed to be doing fine and that he had eaten some. They wanted to continue to observe him and would call me back before 5 p.m. with more information.

Just after 4 p.m. the Vet called again and advised that Shorty had undergone another seizure and this time he was not recovering and I should come as soon as possible. I called my younger brother and he came to pick me up and we went to the Vet clinic. The Vet met me and said "It does not look good" I lost it. I went in and they carried Shorty into the room and placed him on a table. He could not stand up yet he was able to turn and crawl into my arms. It was the most horrible feeling I have ever gone thru. He looked at me and he did not have to speak. I knew he was telling me it's really bad please help me, you have always taken care of everything for me please help me now. I thought I had lost it before but now I really did. I held him for an hour and the Vet finally came back in and told me that he had a brain tumor which was inoperable. I held him for another long, long time. The vet told me what I already knew, I could tell by his breathing that he was suffering. I had no option, I had to make the hardest decision of my life and during my life I have had to make some very hard decisions. I had to have him put down. I did not have a moments peace and very little sleep for the next week. Its still not over and will not be for a long time yet to come. I've had many dogs in my life time but never a "Shorty", never for 14 years' and definitely never one that has affected me so severely.

On 19 August I underwent another successful surgery. Seem to be recovering well. My brother keeps telling me if I keep up at this rate pretty soon I'm going to be a completely new man. LOL.

This morning I got up fairly early and normally the first thing I do is check my cell for any chat messages from my kids. Today for some reason I didn't check the cell until about 1030. I saw I had a video from my daughter who lives in Mexico City.
Some of you may remember Carolyn from one of the get together"s at Conman's when she went on the deep sea fishing trip with me and some other members of this forum. We do video chats practically every day. its the best thing cell phones ever produced. Nothing like seeing her and talking to my little three year old grand daughter (just as easy speaking in Spain Spanish as English). I knew Carolyn was expecting her second little girl in about another month. I opened the video and was shocked. It was a video of their little baby mere minutes after being born and boy was she squalling and squirming as they were doing the normal procedures at birth. Thank God both of them are doing extremely well.

As most of you know I decided to give up the lease I have had In Allegheny County since 1998 due to many health problems from exposure to Agent Orange in South East Asia (which the VA continues to deny, stall, foot drag and make excuses for not allowing VA disability). I've met a couple of individuals personally who wanted me to show them the "lay of the land" at the property. I just met the individual who secured the lease this year. If he and his son have half of the enjoyment I and my brother have had hunting that property then I'll be happy for them. I went with them to the property and I was not at all surprised to see that he had a bear on one of his cameras. His son wants a bear and I hope he succeeds.

. Incidentally I did do one coyote hunt since returning from Fla the first of May. I have posted many times of coyote hunting with night vision. Think I posted that my thermal night vision (most expensive one) died. I contacted the makers and was informed that that particular model was already out of production when I purchased it from Cabela's and they had no way of repairing the scope. Unfortunately Cabela's did not inform me of this when I purchased the scope and I was not aware until the company advised me. I would never have purchased that one had I known. Both the manufacturer and Cabela's were "extremely cooperative". They offered me $2,000 on the purchase of the newer version however the newer version now costs $$2,000 more than the one I purchased for just over $6K. Lesson Learned: If I buy anything expensive (at lease expensive to me LOL) I'm going to be doing a heck of a lot of home work BEFORE I lay out any hard earned cash. Don't trust BassPro or Cabela's or any others for that matter. Their only interest is selling products they have on hand. Bottom line is I have already replaced the thermal scope but definitely not that same brand and this one definitely is not an out of production model. I made sure of that before I bought. .

As an added note. I had also purchased one of the ATN night scope attachments. It is used in front of your normal day time scope to convert it to a night vision scope. The first one I had died twelve days prior to the expiration of the warranty. Whew!!!!! I contacted and returned the scope attachment to ATN. They sent me a new scope which was an even newer version than the one I had bought. I thought that was great. Well that is until this one also died and fortunately it was still under warranty. It's at ATN as we speak for their action what ever that may be.

Back to the coyote hunt. My friend had helped me pick up a road killed deer and we put it out at his "condo" where I have hunted/killed several coyotes. Getting to the "condo" two evenings later I spotted a small buck in the hay field. Was able to get into the "condo"without spooking him and he wandered around to within 20 yards of me. Just before I started to attach the night scope attachment to the rifle I spotted movement, it was a coyote crossing between me and the bait pile. I got the rifle on it and squeaked to try to stop it but it kept going and just a little faster. I wasn't going to let it just walk out on me so I knocked it down but it jumped up and took off. I shot again and again knocked it down and it continued to try to get away so the third shot stopped it permanently. Just after dark I saw eyes in the binocs and got the rifle scope on it in the briers at the edge of the hay field. The scope worked as it was supposed to work. It turned out to be a possum. About 0330 I saw thru the night vision binocs another coyote cross just below the bait pile and continue on across the hay field. I got the rifle up and turned on the night scope but this time all I got was a huge white circle thru the scope. I never could see anything thru the scope except a big white circle with thousands of sparkling dots. I went back to the binocs and watched the coyote leave the hay field. It never went to the bait pile or even acted like it was aware of the bait pile. I quickly changed the batteries in the scope and turned it on again. Same thing, nothing. I thought I might as well come home but since it was so close to daylight and I have shot some coyotes just after daylight I decided to stay. I saw several deer and possums thru the binocs but never could get the scope to work.

Well that pretty much brings me up to date. Trying to get motivated and prepared to do some deer hunting around home. Sure is turning out to be an up hill battle. I'm definitely looking for this "Golden Age Stuff" but surely haven't found it. LOL.

Best of luck to everyone this deer season.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
I'm so sorry about your mother. It's hard to give up a mother. It leaves a void that only time will heal. I'm also sorry about Shorty. I know the heartbreak it brings loosing a dog. We had one for 17 years but I was the one the dog loved best and everyone knew it. There was an unexplainable bond. We all miss him but we can now talk about him with love. But it took a long, long while. Hope all your surgeries are over and everything is healed. Will keep you in my prayers for you loss and for your healing.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
So sorry to hear about your mother and your dog.... I never "got" the dog thing until I met my wife and her dog... which is now my dog :) and doesnt have much to do with her anymore. Both of those are major losses and my condolences on both.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That was a hard read, even knowing that all of our days are numbered.
I'm very sorry for your losses..
The coyote hunt sounds like the old Larry that we've been missing, we need to hear more once you get all your equipment back in order.
Glad you're back, I hope we get to hear from you much more often.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
oh man Larry,,,,trying times - condolences on your losses - I've lost both before and it's never easy

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Good to see you back on here, so sorry about your Mom and Shorty.... hope you heal up quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Glad to see you back, Larry. We've missed you and your amazing stories. I am very sorry to hear about your mom and shorty and the surgeries you are going through. Hopefully you'll get to see your new grand daughter in person soon. I hope you're able to get your hunting gear all sorted and working. Hope to read another of your hunting stories and detailed tracking jobs soon. Hang in there, Larry.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wow! You have definitely been through a hard spell. So sorry about your mom, and that was NOT the "Shorty" report I was expecting. Very sorry for your losses. Glad your are doing better, and hope you get to spend some time with your new grandbaby.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It seems like as the Golden Years come there are more sorrows that come with it. The think I know is that Larry R will get through a lot more than most. To say stay strong would just be stating the obvious. Looking forward to more good news and stories in the future. Just hope they aren't months apart.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Larry, I read your update with a heavy heart and had to let it soak in a while.....you have definitely been through a rough patch. It is never easy to lose your Mother and I know how much Shorty meant to you. Dealing with health issues form getting older and from your exemplary service to our country definitely take the shine off the golden years as well. But, I also know you are one of the toughest fellas I know and will approach every tomorrow with a determination that most never experience. You, sir, are a true American Hero and I am glad that our paths have crossed! Glad to see you back to share the good and the not so good with us.

I am sure you will get your equipment problems squared away and the coyotes will be in trouble! There is probably a few groundhogs around that need some attention as well.

Also good to hear that Carolyn has blessed you with another granddaughter and was wondering the other day how your son was getting along.

For those who do not know him, this is Larry and Carolyn aboard the Fighting Lady on the GTG offshore fishing trip in 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 67

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So sorry to hear about your mother and your dog glad your healing up sounds like you've really had some challenges

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Very sorry to hear about your losses and such tough times. Virtual {{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}} to you. I hope you have an awesome deer season.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Not gonna lie, I was more worried about you losing Shorty than any other dog owner I know. I am very glad you were there with your best friend and that you had the courage to make such a difficult decision. I am sorry for the loss of your mother as well, I know the pain. I am grateful you have new life in your family for you to tell stories to.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
As usual one of my very normal long posts. Read at your option,

So very much has happened over the last eight months. As some of you know I became a wimp and moved to Florida for the winter. At first things went well as I did some much needed tender loving care on the home I purchased. On 16 Mar 19 I got an early phone call. My mother who has been in a nursing home for several years passed away. I returned to NC for a few days. A very sad and trying time but I was able to accept that because I know she is with her maker and no longer suffering. .

I returned to Fla with my best friend in the world, Shorty. Not long afterward he had a seizure and I'm convinced that he actually died but some how I worked with him and brought him back. I rushed him to the emergency Vets office. That was followed by a lengthy two weeks time of trial and error trying to determine what was wrong. After three more seizures it appeared that they had finally found the correct medication and Shorty seemed to be doing well.

I discovered that I had again developed a hernia while in Fla but delayed surgery until I returned to NC. After arrival in NC I scheduled surgery and found that I had a double hernia. The surgery was performed on 6 Jun 19 and all went well. On 16 Jul 19 I again underwent another surgical procedure. Again all went well but the next day my world turned upside down. I was restricted from driving for a few days so I was driven home after the surgery. The following morning I had just finished brushing my teeth when I heard a strange noise. At first I thought it was Shorty pushing his food bowl then I realized it was something else. I rushed into my bed room to find Shorty having another seizure. It appeared to be a much milder seizure and he did not completely go out but I worked with him until I felt he was recovering and eventually he was able to stand up by himself. He walked into the dining room and I called my brother to take us to the vet.

Before my brother arrived Shorty had another seizure. I worked with him and finally he recovered. We got him to the vet and they began running tests and wanted to keep him for more tests and observation so I agreed to let them keep him. I returned home About noon the vet called and said he seemed to be doing fine and that he had eaten some. They wanted to continue to observe him and would call me back before 5 p.m. with more information.

Just after 4 p.m. the Vet called again and advised that Shorty had undergone another seizure and this time he was not recovering and I should come as soon as possible. I called my younger brother and he came to pick me up and we went to the Vet clinic. The Vet met me and said "It does not look good" I lost it. I went in and they carried Shorty into the room and placed him on a table. He could not stand up yet he was able to turn and crawl into my arms. It was the most horrible feeling I have ever gone thru. He looked at me and he did not have to speak. I knew he was telling me it's really bad please help me, you have always taken care of everything for me please help me now. I thought I had lost it before but now I really did. I held him for an hour and the Vet finally came back in and told me that he had a brain tumor which was inoperable. I held him for another long, long time. The vet told me what I already knew, I could tell by his breathing that he was suffering. I had no option, I had to make the hardest decision of my life and during my life I have had to make some very hard decisions. I had to have him put down. I did not have a moments peace and very little sleep for the next week. Its still not over and will not be for a long time yet to come. I've had many dogs in my life time but never a "Shorty", never for 14 years' and definitely never one that has affected me so severely.

On 19 August I underwent another successful surgery. Seem to be recovering well. My brother keeps telling me if I keep up at this rate pretty soon I'm going to be a completely new man. LOL.

This morning I got up fairly early and normally the first thing I do is check my cell for any chat messages from my kids. Today for some reason I didn't check the cell until about 1030. I saw I had a video from my daughter who lives in Mexico City.
Some of you may remember Carolyn from one of the get together"s at Conman's when she went on the deep sea fishing trip with me and some other members of this forum. We do video chats practically every day. its the best thing cell phones ever produced. Nothing like seeing her and talking to my little three year old grand daughter (just as easy speaking in Spain Spanish as English). I knew Carolyn was expecting her second little girl in about another month. I opened the video and was shocked. It was a video of their little baby mere minutes after being born and boy was she squalling and squirming as they were doing the normal procedures at birth. Thank God both of them are doing extremely well.

As most of you know I decided to give up the lease I have had In Allegheny County since 1998 due to many health problems from exposure to Agent Orange in South East Asia (which the VA continues to deny, stall, foot drag and make excuses for not allowing VA disability). I've met a couple of individuals personally who wanted me to show them the "lay of the land" at the property. I just met the individual who secured the lease this year. If he and his son have half of the enjoyment I and my brother have had hunting that property then I'll be happy for them. I went with them to the property and I was not at all surprised to see that he had a bear on one of his cameras. His son wants a bear and I hope he succeeds.

. Incidentally I did do one coyote hunt since returning from Fla the first of May. I have posted many times of coyote hunting with night vision. Think I posted that my thermal night vision (most expensive one) died. I contacted the makers and was informed that that particular model was already out of production when I purchased it from Cabela's and they had no way of repairing the scope. Unfortunately Cabela's did not inform me of this when I purchased the scope and I was not aware until the company advised me. I would never have purchased that one had I known. Both the manufacturer and Cabela's were "extremely cooperative". They offered me $2,000 on the purchase of the newer version however the newer version now costs $$2,000 more than the one I purchased for just over $6K. Lesson Learned: If I buy anything expensive (at lease expensive to me LOL) I'm going to be doing a heck of a lot of home work BEFORE I lay out any hard earned cash. Don't trust BassPro or Cabela's or any others for that matter. Their only interest is selling products they have on hand. Bottom line is I have already replaced the thermal scope but definitely not that same brand and this one definitely is not an out of production model. I made sure of that before I bought. .

As an added note. I had also purchased one of the ATN night scope attachments. It is used in front of your normal day time scope to convert it to a night vision scope. The first one I had died twelve days prior to the expiration of the warranty. Whew!!!!! I contacted and returned the scope attachment to ATN. They sent me a new scope which was an even newer version than the one I had bought. I thought that was great. Well that is until this one also died and fortunately it was still under warranty. It's at ATN as we speak for their action what ever that may be.

Back to the coyote hunt. My friend had helped me pick up a road killed deer and we put it out at his "condo" where I have hunted/killed several coyotes. Getting to the "condo" two evenings later I spotted a small buck in the hay field. Was able to get into the "condo"without spooking him and he wandered around to within 20 yards of me. Just before I started to attach the night scope attachment to the rifle I spotted movement, it was a coyote crossing between me and the bait pile. I got the rifle on it and squeaked to try to stop it but it kept going and just a little faster. I wasn't going to let it just walk out on me so I knocked it down but it jumped up and took off. I shot again and again knocked it down and it continued to try to get away so the third shot stopped it permanently. Just after dark I saw eyes in the binocs and got the rifle scope on it in the briers at the edge of the hay field. The scope worked as it was supposed to work. It turned out to be a possum. About 0330 I saw thru the night vision binocs another coyote cross just below the bait pile and continue on across the hay field. I got the rifle up and turned on the night scope but this time all I got was a huge white circle thru the scope. I never could see anything thru the scope except a big white circle with thousands of sparkling dots. I went back to the binocs and watched the coyote leave the hay field. It never went to the bait pile or even acted like it was aware of the bait pile. I quickly changed the batteries in the scope and turned it on again. Same thing, nothing. I thought I might as well come home but since it was so close to daylight and I have shot some coyotes just after daylight I decided to stay. I saw several deer and possums thru the binocs but never could get the scope to work.

Well that pretty much brings me up to date. Trying to get motivated and prepared to do some deer hunting around home. Sure is turning out to be an up hill battle. I'm definitely looking for this "Golden Age Stuff" but surely haven't found it. LOL.

Best of luck to everyone this deer season.
Glad things are getting better, give me a holler anytime buddy!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Would like to express my appreciation for all the kind words. It's still difficult but I have so many fond memories and photos. All surgeries seem to be doing great according to the doctors.
Just received a notice that the dead night vision scope should be back today. I still haven't been able to get out and test the latest NV scope I purchased but I'm really pleased with what I have seen so far while sighting in the scope. Should start getting some deer carcasses soon to entice the coyotes. '
Have been getting some good looking deer with "trees" growing on their heads. Just hope to be able to have an up close and personal encounter soon.

Windrunner

Twelve Pointer
Larry, I am so sorry for your losses but I am also so so glad to hear you're still here, first of all lol, and still enjoying life.

Hows the snakes down in FL?