Catalpa worms

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Trees should be getting full now, my uncle brought me about 40 yesterday of big ones. Said his tree covered in them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've not had any on my trees for about 5 years now. Anyone that's got them, I'd gladly buy some to try to restart mine.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if you are going to reseed them, get the smallest ones you can get off someone's tree. They always seem to stay, seems like the big ones won't. People get them off my trees all the time to seed their trees and we have figured that out.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Y’all fish with them , we use em for cats mostly

I love using them for bluegills and shellcracker. You can catch 4 or 5 on the same piece of bait because of the tough skin. They are good for channel cats though. I seen a guy out at the stock ponds on Ft. Bragg out catch everyone else out there 3 to 1 with catalpa worms.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Exploring the back of my new property, I found several young trees with big heart shaped leaves with long thin "bean pods" growing on them. I wasn't sure what they were, but for some reason "catalpa" came to mind as a possibility, though I'd never seen one in person to my knowledge. I just looked up "catalpa" on USDA plants website. YEP! I've got catalpa trees on my property! No worms yet, that I've noticed though.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I always heard my grandpa talk about turning them, but i think the idea is to get the juice exposed. i break them in half most of the time which exposes the innards anyway. My grandpa also said you had to bite the head off, but i aint doing that either.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
no access to any anymore, but we use to freeze them in cornmeal in zipbags, 12 to a bag....thaw them and cut up in pieces....worked as good as live ones....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
no access to any anymore, but we use to freeze them in cornmeal in zipbags, 12 to a bag....thaw them and cut up in pieces....worked as good as live ones....
we weren't that smart. we just put them in the fridge in a state of "freshness"
they usually got consumed in mass when mama got tired of looking at them after a few days.
which was probably the plan all along.