Castnetting for brown shrimp or just whites?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
It seems most people seem to wait until the white shrimp are big to start castnetting rather than go for the browns. I've heard various reasons such as the browns are in deeper water. Is this true? Maybe the person I was talking to usually casts at shrimp if he sees them along the bank where's he's fishing. If he's not into baiting and castnetting, then he thinks that they are too deep if in 7 feet of water. I don't know.

Does anyone have and idea? I decided to wait on the baiting/castnetting for a few weeks until i hear the big whites (greentails) are in.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Though I did get this reply from Newman's Seafood in Swan Quarter: "Brown shrimp aren't up the creeks as far and they get out of the creeks at a smaller size. "

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I have no clue. I know I see guys cast netting on the lower Neuse this time of year for shrimp. We only chase a few if we see them working in the shallows and then enough to use as fresh live bait.

BackCreek

Spike
Brown shrimp will typically go out of creeks and bays a little earlier but not much, they are more driven by rain than size. My uncle has been cast netting for the past several weeks for brown shrimp and has done very well. Although not in a creek or bay area (this is open area to harvest and he does have a commercial license) He caught over 800lb. of 21-25 count shrimp in a couple evenings. I was quite pleased when he called me to come get 50lb. for free and I didn't have to throw my net once :)