Casting a lead anchor

mj1angier

Four Pointer
Well,I needed a cheap anchor to use in creeks. I did not want anything too big and I felt that the grapple or plow types would get hung up a lot. So, I decided to use skills I picked up in another hobby ( bullet casting) and use it to make my own. I could not find a ton of info but enough to get me head down the right path.

I wanted a flat sided anchor. I was shooting for something like a pyramid fishing weight, just larger. I thought I found the perfect mold at the Dollar Store- a metal plant holder. Only on closer look it was not water tight. So I settled for this:
mold2_zps61f5a1ec.jpg

Full size look:
mold_zpse467d7d9.jpg

The sides are kind of thin to hold the full weight with out bowing out, so I brace them with some lumber pushed up to them.

Lets get cooking!!

start_zpsd4c4495e.jpg

My melting set up is an old turkey fryer burner and a cheap Chinese dutch oven. NEVER use this pot to cook in after using it to melt lead. I am not going to get into all the safety stuff about lead and casting. There are a ton of sights that can help with that.

This is hot stuff- 700 degree or so. It is a mix of wheel weight that have been cleaned ( zink and metal will float to the top and get skimmed off) and pewter to give it a bit more hardness.

melt_zpsd1032397.jpg

This is a heavy pot- about 15 lbs and it is hot!! Pour into the mold slowly so there is no splater. Wear heavy gloves, long sleeve and pour behind a splatter shield if you can. After pouring, before the lead starts to set, put a SS eye bolt in the middle.
bolt_zpsdd72bba2.jpg

You need to hold it in place till the lead cools enough to stay in place. If you don't the bolt will float to the top.

set_zpse51d066f.jpg

When the lead is cool enough to hold the bolt, I drop the whole thing in a pan of water- BE CAREFUL- it will steam and can burn you bad!! But the cold bath will harden the lead some.

When it is cool, just pull off the mold.

finish_zps95ffa487.jpg

The finale step will be to give it a coat of Plast- Dip

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Years ago I made one from a VW bug hubcap. Very similar casting. It had the VW insignia on the bottom, lots of comments on that one.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I use to just pick up a cracked wheel wedge from a John Deere dealer, makes a great small anchor...

FireStalker

Twelve Pointer
Nice

Can also use a plastic gallon milk jug filed with concrete and then tie a rope around the handle for a cheap anchor.

Newtothehunt

8179528_orig.jpg

I cast this aluminum prop blade last year if anyone needs a blade and hub for their barge, tug boat, or freighter. :p

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I once broke the axle on my Farmall Super A tractor. After replacing it, for some reason I kept the old broken one. Then I came in need of a boat anchor. The axle was originally a one piece, with the the hub housing included, and was the perfect size for a boat anchor. I welded it back together and welded an eye hook on the spline end. Still using it today.