Cast iron pan restoration

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Griswold, like “Clark W. Griswold, going for a landspeed snow disc world record” are the most sought after. They were the biggest and started I believe in 1880s. Wagner was their biggest competitor and great USA made skillets. I believe yours is still a great skillet but much newer (they were bought out several times). Less wording is usually better. If sits flat, no cracks or huge pitting, you have a piece that will serve you well. Similar to current Lodge skillets, great for cooking and use, just not any big cash value and somewhat small collectable factor to them. Approx $30 value I would think

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Awesome book btw. 2011 prices many of which have gone up drastically as more and more are after the older cast iron.

Attachments

• CDD1C1B7-AACA-4DDA-9815-04B4B7481657.jpeg
    CDD1C1B7-AACA-4DDA-9815-04B4B7481657.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 32

Jbo919

Button Buck
I did a Dutch Oven last week with the process of electrolysis it did pretty good but yours looks a lot better good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Question, could one reseason using a grill? I have a BGE that I can get really hot, and if I can avoid smoking out the kitchen so much the better.

Jlc11393

Spike
Have any of you used the Crisbee Puck for seasoning? I’ve saw ads for it on FB and it looks pretty legitimate.

alanten

Spike
Lye soak works well and usually takes several days - plumbers 100% lye

Electrolysis method with battery charger - super fast and super clean - great to have set up for cleaning anything rusty from tools and more.

Stay away from wire wheels, heavy grit sand paper, etc - you don't want to dig or scratch into the metal in any ways and the above methods clean off the rust and build up without causing damage. Some are worth a lot of money and only going up in value.
View attachment 52970
Got this today, what can y'all tell me

View attachment 52974
Great
Lye soak works well and usually takes several days - plumbers 100% lye

Electrolysis method with battery charger - super fast and super clean - great to have set up for cleaning anything rusty from tools and more.

Stay away from wire wheels, heavy grit sand paper, etc - you don't want to dig or scratch into the metal in any ways and the above methods clean off the rust and build up without causing damage. Some are worth a lot of money and only going up in value.

Video

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How would you handle a rusty No. 15 P&B pot. I'm sure I started the wrong way.0116211404a.jpg

Last edited:

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I’m a after a griswold or Wagner 10 and 12 If anyone has a lead. Don’t mind refinishing as long as it isn’t pitted bad.

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
How would you handle a rusty No. 15 P&B pot. I'm sure I started the wrong way.View attachment 59238
Soak in plumber lye bath (walmart.com has 100% lye cheap or did) until clean of debris. Rinse off. Lightly coat Crisco or veg oil n bake 350-400 degrees upside down. 30 mins in add second light coat. Warning Will fume/stink up house. Once seasoned good to go just keep oiling after use

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Soak in plumber lye bath (walmart.com has 100% lye cheap or did). Lightly coat Crisco or veg oil n bake 350-400 degrees upside down. 30 mins in add second light coat. Warning Will fume/stink up house. Once seasoned good to go just keep oiling after use
how do you get a 15 gallon pot in the oven??? It won't fit in mine

shadebaby

Six Pointer
Been cooking in this one about a month after re seasoning. Can't quite cook an egg in it yet.
133f585fbae3b33adbe40f418fa571d6.jpg
b09a4cd34f06ec81794063b5a8172830.jpg
a266bb7d83edd5ab21a585854509d4a5.jpg
9b79321dfb7909ce6b68c311ba5b0ce4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Been cooking in this one about a month after re seasoning. Can't quite cook an egg in it yet.
133f585fbae3b33adbe40f418fa571d6.jpg
b09a4cd34f06ec81794063b5a8172830.jpg
a266bb7d83edd5ab21a585854509d4a5.jpg
9b79321dfb7909ce6b68c311ba5b0ce4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Beautiful. Some were made w nickel and other metals. Not sure if just the pic and angle?

See if getting the skillet hot first makes a difference with eggs not sticking. As with all skillets dont want them super hot (I usually cook on med heat n rarely med high) or especially cool fast as chance for warping/creating wobble n not sitting flat any longer.

Last edited:

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
The numbers were used to match the openings on coal and wood stoves, not representative of inches. Many of the skillets are marked either bottom side or on the top of the handle. Coal stoves often caused a lot of pitting that permanently damaged the cast iron and reduces the values. Least common items and sizes are usually most desirable, and sometimes other features like heat rings make differences in pricing. Griswold made tons of other items too such as toy/salesman samples, coffee bean grinders, waffle irons (sour dough waffles are amazing and something cool about using one back from early 1900s), etc. No 2 size skillets always seem to be worth hundreds of dollars as well from what i've seen. I always to check to see if skillets sits flat or warped and then look for other cosmetic problems like cracks or pitting. To somewhat help with pricing or determining year(s), Griswold trademark (logos) - "Erie" only, as in Erie, PA (no Griswold name) the oldest, then the Large Block Logo Slant (or Italic Griswold name), then large Block Griswold logo, then small griswold logo. (Early in my days of collecting cast iron I passed up on a $5 Erie no 5 that is worth over $500.) Eventually Grisowld sold, closed, then bought out by General Housewares who also bought/owned Wagner. Wagner the second most sought after in terms of collectors and value. This is Spider Logo for example is a grand poo-pa if you find one - be willing to pay for it if seller knows what they have as one was recently listed with a $8,000 price tag. Was only made for one year and the trademark was reversed (embossed) so they were afraid of it rubbing/wearing off in time.:
1612221566672.png

Last edited:

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Griswold Trademarks (Logos) Oldest to newest - some minor variations but pretty accurate.
1880-1905 Erie only.
1906-1912 smooth bottom, 1909-29 with heat ring Big Trademark Block (logo) with Slanted Griswold, aka Slanted Logo.
1920-30 with heat ring, 1930-39 smooth bottom, Block big logo
1939-1944 early handle, 1944-1957 late handle, Small logo
Sold in 1946, Closed 1957, Bought by General Housewares in 1969

griswold logos trademarks.jpg

Something neat about cooking on old cast iron and thinking back through the generations that cooked on it before you. Also your not eating Teflon of from some China made metal, and your getting some beneficial (I think) iron from the skillet, and years worth of tasty seasoning from all the food build up. Maybe just my opinon but meals taste better off of cast iron skillets. Also IMO just seems like the best to cook on and in recent years the market has really skyrocketed esp for Griswolds. Prices are definately not going to go down as more and more are now in the market for them. Good luck, enjoy, and God bless.

Last edited:

shadebaby

Six Pointer
Griswold Trademarks (Logos) Oldest to newest - some minor variations but pretty accurate.
1880-1905 Erie only.
1906-1912 smooth bottom, 1909-29 with heat ring Big Trademark Block (logo) with Slanted Griswold, aka Slanted Logo.
1920-30 with heat ring, 1930-39 smooth bottom, Block big logo
1939-1944 early handle, 1944-1957 late handle, Small logo
Sold in 1946, Closed 1957, Bought by General Housewares in 1969

View attachment 60298

Something neat about cooking on old cast iron and thinking back through the generations that cooked on it before you. Also your not eating Teflon of from some China made metal, and your getting some beneficial (I think) iron from the skillet, and years worth of tasty seasoning from all the food build up. Maybe just my opinon but meals taste better off of cast iron skillets. Also IMO just seems like the best to cook on and in recent years the market has really skyrocketed esp for Griswolds. Prices are definately not going to go down as more and more are now in the market for them. Good luck, enjoy, and God bless.
1612263979512.png
Any guesses on a date for mine? thanks

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
looks like small logo. can you take a pic of the entire skillet's bottom including the handle. from one end to the other in the pic. thx.

does look nasty,,,,,but heck, lead poisoning is just a sign of old age,,,,the symptoms in adults,,,,

• High blood pressure
  • Joint and muscle pain
  • Difficulties with memory or concentration
  • Headache
  • Abdominal pain
  • Mood disorders
  • Reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm
don't look that much different from getting old!!

when I was doing a LOT of shooting, the unit would test us every month for lead poisoning,,,,finger prick to check,,,every month,,,,

they'd never tell us where we were at on the scale,,,,

must of been human research,,,
LOL! Abnormal sperm! Im happy if I get close enough to release any!

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Small logo late handle. If the cutout area of the handle where u hang it from was pointer, beveled and not smooth rounded curve it’d be early handle small logo. Still a nice piece for sure.

Lastfling

Six Pointer
How about this one? It’s a great cook pan btw and sees constant use.

18aa0c75a7a85993d5fc0b5a9f62b19a.jpg

Lastfling

Six Pointer
Should have looked further up the thread . It appears to be a 1939 - 1944 version