Cast iron pan restoration

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
bigten, sounds like you have your priorities set right and though your dad was mad at the time, it's kinda-neat to now have a one of a kind pan fixed by your dad's hands. Time goes by fast, enjoy.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Todays find:
Montgomery Ward waffle iron. Really good shape,,,,,,,except for a big hunk missing out if the side of one of the paddles. I’ve got a plan for that though. It involves a turkey fryer, a welder, bondo, and sand paper.
I took it up front and showed the folks at the counter the damaged spot. I explained that it didn’t appear that it was priced as a damaged item, and that the damage looked recent. Clean, grey, rough texture of the freshly exposed surface had never seen heat and grease, use or restoration. I offered $25, they called the seller and I left with it. The seller said it was in perfect shape when they put it in their booth. Somebody mishandled it while looking at it and probably dropped it, not knowing it’s actually three pieces that are in no way attached.
I know, I know, you can’t weld cast. Well, actually you can. This is not structural. It will see thermal changes, so different expansion rates may cause an issue with use, but I think it will be ok for normal use. Extreme, rapid temp changes is where it may be a problem. I’ll put $25 on that horse.

View attachment 109648

View attachment 109651

View attachment 109649

View attachment 109650

So, it ain’t perfect, but it will make a waffle.

IMG_8405.jpeg

IMG_8406.jpeg

bigblue

Eight Pointer
I ended up with a bunch of cast iron after my Daddy passed away. Some his and some of my grandparents’ that he had inherited. I sold some but kept a set of three pans that were Grandma’s and what Daddy had cooked some with his later years. Not in terrible shape but it has been stored for a while in unconditioned shed so it’s going to need cleaning and reseasoning. I believe this is Birmingham Stove & Range but not sure. Set of #3, #5 & #7 skillets. IMG_0962.jpegIMG_0963.jpeg