Carry Holster for Ruger LCP

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m looking for a good holster for carry while at work. I usually pocket carry with a sticky holster.

I’m transitioning to more driving in my job, and am looking for an alternative that is easier access while sitting.. ie driving.

What do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The only on-body carry position that allows for decent access will driving is a cross-draw worn on the belt and some shoulder holster designs. But the truth is, those carry positions aren't real great for anything else, so driving must be viewed as a specialized tasks when considering a carry position. Unless you live behind the wheel, I wouldn't be overly concerned with utilizing one of those carry positions unless you're exposed to some significant risks while driving, i.e. delivery man, mail carrier, truck driver, cab driver, etc.

What I do when I'm driving and feel the need to have quicker access than my regular carry positions (front pocket carry and IWB at 3 o'clock) will allow, is I simply remove one of the guns from its normal position and either put in under my leg or I utilize a carry method that's attached to the interior with ready access.

The only time I am realistically exposed to much risks while seated in a car is either conducting a transaction at an ATM or doing business at a drive-thru. I'm not going to alter my carry methods permanently for circumstances so infrequently encountered. As with all things, YMMV.

ETA: The only professional gun-toters that I'm aware of that routinely utilize cross-draws and shoulder holsters are bodyguards.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only on-body carry position that allows for decent access will driving is a cross-draw worn on the belt and some shoulder holster designs. But the truth is, those carry positions aren't real great for anything else, so driving must be viewed as a specialized tasks when considering a carry position. Unless you live behind the wheel, I wouldn't be overly concerned with utilizing one of those carry positions unless you're exposed to some significant risks while driving, i.e. delivery man, mail carrier, truck driver, cab driver, etc.

What I do when I'm driving and feel the need to have quicker access than my regular carry positions (front pocket carry and IWB at 3 o'clock) will allow, is I simply remove one of the guns from its normal position and either put in under my leg or I utilize a carry method that's attached to the interior with ready access.

The only time I am realistically exposed to much risks while seated in a car is either conducting a transaction at an ATM or doing business at a drive-thru. I'm not going to alter my carry methods permanently for circumstances so infrequently encountered. As with all things, YMMV.

ETA: The only professional gun-toters that I'm aware of that routinely utilize cross-draws and shoulder holsters are bodyguards.

I’m not going away from the pocket carry at all. I’m just looking for something to utilize when I have to do lots of driving, and don’t want to swap carry positions for quick in and out trips. Such as pumping gas, running into a store for a pit stop, etc.

I will continue to utilize pocket carry in my daily routine. I’d rather not be swapping carrying positions in a potentially crowded environment.

I’ve also debated on multiple carry. The downside to that is summer attire generally doesn’t afford such comfortably.

ETA. When I’m here at home in NC, I sometimes utilize an OWB in a cross draw fashion for OC. But the holster I have isn’t the most comfortable when sitting, and many states that I work in don’t allow for OC. SC for instance.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I typically take my pocket carry pistol out when I get into the car. Drop it into the door pocket. Back into pocket when I get to where I'm going.
Small of back works ok but not with my wife's leather seats....

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It requires a second gun and some added expense, but another option (with realistic access) would be a lock-box mounted within easy reach. One with RFID activation would be about an convenient as that method of readiness could get. For this to be viable, you'd have to establish a sound habit of opening the safe when you enter your vehicle and then remembering to close it whenever you exited your vehicle.

I suppose everyone has to decide for themselves what level of compromise they're willing to undergo but making concessions for the sake of practicality is certainly a fact of life.

I'd be curious to know what you end up doing and there's bound to be someone else grappling with the same issues regarding their own practices.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It requires a second gun and some added expense, but another option (with realistic access) would be a lock-box mounted within easy reach. One with RFID activation would be about an convenient as that method of readiness could get. For this to be viable, you'd have to establish a sound habit of opening the safe when you enter your vehicle and then remembering to close it whenever you exited your vehicle.

I suppose everyone has to decide for themselves what level of compromise they're willing to undergo but making concessions for the sake of practicality is certainly a fact of life.

I'd be curious to know what you end up doing and there's bound to be someone else grappling with the same issues regarding their own practices.

If I were in my personal vehicle this would be a great idea, and I might utilize it for my personal vehicle at some point in the future. However this isn’t a viable option in company vehicles and rentals.

The more I think about it, the more multiple carry seems like the best option. In which case, I might be in the market for a “truck gun”. If I go this route, I might just do the old standby holster between the seats option for a small frame auto.

I really like pocket carrying the LCP, so I’ll not go away from that. I don’t have another carry gun that I have that level of confidence in, that is even remotely so comfortable to carry.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Go buy a j-frame 38 and tuck it somewhere. You need something concealable with quick access, top reliability, and 3-5 yard accuracy...for a price that won’t break the bank

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Try a Sneaky Pete holster. It conceals the pistol, allows fast access and you can clip it on/off in seconds. If anyone ask what is in the pouch tell them it is your personal cellphone. You can easily carry it off person in a vehicle and you will not draw any unwanted attention as you clip it back to your waist when exiting a vehicle. All the while your LCP will be out of sight and secure. Check out the covert nylon offerings innocuous graphics on the holster flap.

<>< Fish

flathead977

Ten Pointer
33627F7C-7BE4-4767-BB10-0F5D1A47509C.jpeg8A7CDFCF-FBA9-44B2-9A0B-5248DCE115EA.jpeg

This is CYA holster I just got today to try out. You can hardly tell it’s on your side. American made and veteran owned. If that sways your decision any.