Carpenter Bees

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Anyone else seeing a lot more this year? The rail on my porch can’t catch a break the past couple months. Usually see one or two a year. This year I kill one and within the next day or so there is a new one.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve seen a reduction for once but man did they love going in my traps. I’ve made some actual carpenter bee traps but success was slim. However they’ve really been attracted to my fly traps. So if you don’t mind smelling it the starbar captivator and terminator has been filling up with them.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I have had a ton of them as well. I killed one the other day with a firecracker and had another pull it's dead body out the next day and take up residence. I shoot them with a Bug A Salt gun and hit em with a baseball bat when I see them. Aggravating things can do alot of damage.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spray the area, especially any holes they have already made, with a strong permethrin solution. Problem solved!

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dad plays with making carpenter bee traps. He complains about them....but I really think he loves the traps.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone else seeing a lot more this year? The rail on my porch can’t catch a break the past couple months. Usually see one or two a year. This year I kill one and within the next day or so there is a new one.

My wife saw some on the porch the other day. She stuffed a paper bag with plastic bags, to make it look like a hornets' nest. They haven't returned.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
badminton rackets,,, couple of grandsons,,, and some ice tea,,,

the perfect Scotland County Summer Eve,,,,,,,

When I was a kid, we did that in FL with dragonflies in the evenings. As for the bees, taking them out with .22 "rat-shot" is pretty satisfying, too.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My trap has been busy this year, but I kill far more with the badminton racket. Helpful hits: 1) They make great bream baits; 2) They won't attack a painted surface.

DSC08352.JPG

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I was a kid, we did that in FL with dragonflies in the evenings. As for the bees, taking them out with .22 "rat-shot" is pretty satisfying, too.

My Dad put me to killing them with a Red Ryder BB gun. Once you figured out to wait til they were hovering, you could kill more than you missed...lol

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My homemade one did hit on much but the Best Bee Brothers one caught several. They seem to have slowed down now.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My BIL is a novice woodworker who builds some beautiful trinkets and furniture using basic tools, he's an engineer as far as his job goes and owns his own company so he's got some walking around sense.
He gifted all of us with his version of very well made carpenter been traps a few Christmases ago, they even had his "brand" burnt into each side as he is proud of his work. Each one was meticulously angled and fit perfectly, very well made for a bug trap, the only thing he got wrong was using aromatic red cedar....LOL..the bees avoid them like the plague while chomping on any nearby pine or oak with gusto.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I cannot confirm, but have seen reported that WD-40 sprayed in the bore will kill the bee as well as any eggs that may be present.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I sprayed some of the bee killer into one of those holes in my porch ceiling a few nights ago. In 24 hours there were six dead bee larvae on the porch rail. Blech. Had no idea there were that many in one hole. We tried plugging the holes with tiny corks. They just drilled those out. My young lab likes to try to catch them. I keep telling him that is not a good idea.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
A Ruger single 6 and rat shot is great sport and is the Mrs. favorite way to get rid of them😀 but we couldn't find the rat shot this year. The WD-40 does work.