Carolina Caviar

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Anybody know what Carolina Caviar is? A much beloved food across the South, but what is it. Place your guess, but be honor bound not to Google it!

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I know I've had it before and remember it being a Blackeyed Peas based type of Pico-de-Gallo/Salsa.

chef

Ten Pointer
2 cans blackeyed peas drained
1 can shoe peg corn drained
2 Finely diced tomato, 1 green, red, yellow pepper
Cilantro finely chopped
1 bunch scallions chopped
1 bottle Italian salad dressing

Stir in big bowl, let sit in fridge at least 3 hours

Serve with tostitos

Warning: it is healthy crack

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
A yankee from Massachusetts introduced Carolina Caviar to me. Ain't that something? I love the stuff.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Bojangles has been using that line lately “the caviar of the south “ in regards to there pimento cheese biscuits

Pimento cheese on a Cajun filet will make your tongue slap your face

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Well here's a recipe.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lived here all of my almost 62 years and did not have a clue. First thought of the egg sacks we used to bread and fry from laden hens, but waited for the explanation. Was actually surprised as I have yet to see or hear that from anyone.... maybe I live in a cave???

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I had some of that Palmetto stuff in the fridge. Wifey used some of it for a recipe. I was making a burger one day and wanted something to put on it so a put a dollop of that stuff on it. I LOVED IT!. Used it all up on burgers.

As far as the caviar goes, Google says it is the black eyed pea mixture which makes more sense to me and since I found it on the internet it has to be true.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
Palmetto or Price's are both very good. The best hamburger I have ever had at home is a bun, hamburger patty, Prices pc, a fried egg, and fried green tomato slices. Nothing else to ruin it: ketchup, mustard, etc. Absolutley great.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
2 cans blackeyed peas drained
1 can shoe peg corn drained
2 Finely diced tomato, 1 green, red, yellow pepper
Cilantro finely chopped
1 bunch scallions chopped
1 bottle Italian salad dressing

Stir in big bowl, let sit in fridge at least 3 hours

Serve with tostitos

Warning: it is healthy crack

The one difference in the recipe I use is that instead of the Italian dressing, use Charlie Mills or any other vinegar & spice based barbecue sauce. It is awesome.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
There’s another brand called 3 sisters or 3 brothers, can’t remember which that is also very good. I like Palmetto and my wife makes it from scratch that we like too.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had some of that Palmetto stuff in the fridge. Wifey used some of it for a recipe. I was making a burger one day and wanted something to put on it so a put a dollop of that stuff on it. I LOVED IT!. Used it all up on burgers.

As far as the caviar goes, Google says it is the black eyed pea mixture which makes more sense to me and since I found it on the internet it has to be true.

Guess all the internet is wrong, cause no where does it have pimento cheese. Every website that has Carolina Caviar has black eyes peas mix.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bojangles has been using that line lately “the caviar of the south “ in regards to there pimento cheese biscuits

Pimento cheese on a Cajun filet will make your tongue slap your face

The Cajun Filet biscuits must be better in your direction than they are here now. They are one level above sucking the hind tit on a boar hog.