career in Real Estate question

baseball2828

Just doing some recon...retiring in a cpl yrs at 55 from teaching.. Want to start a new career, thinking about something in Real Esate. Doesnt have to be sales, Ive never sold anything.,Just looking for ideas as to what other jobs in Real Estate are out there. I dont have to make $100K(but will not turn it down) but a nice supplement to my retirement. Thanks

willch

Twelve Pointer
Go get your license and then find a top agent in your area. You could start out by helping with flyers, photos and putting signs out. Great way to start and learn the basics. Then if you find someone who wants to buy or sale you can help them and get paid. Can't be paid any commissions unless your licensed. Been selling for 14 yrs, it can be profitable or a giant headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nckeith

Ten Pointer
My opinion is free so take that for what its worth. However, real estate is a great retirement career. Especially if one has a pension and retirement benefits in place. It may take a few months to even get your first listing or represent a buyer. However, it can be lucrative and you can work as little or as much as you want. I was talking to a friend today who is a firefighter about how a realtor seems less pushy and more professional when then aren't literally starving for business. Plus I think a lot of folks will prefer working with a mature and educated person. Many realtors are not mature or very educated. Good Luck

skydog

My opinion is free so take that for what its worth. However, real estate is a great retirement career. Especially if one has a pension and retirement benefits in place. It may take a few months to even get your first listing or represent a buyer. However, it can be lucrative and you can work as little or as much as you want. I was talking to a friend today who is a firefighter about how a realtor seems less pushy and more professional when then aren't literally starving for business. Plus I think a lot of folks will prefer working with a mature and educated person. Many realtors are not mature or very educated. Good Luck

Good advice, IMO. The vast majority of realtors I've come across are derelicts so if you're professional, mature, and get things done in a timely manner (i.e. don't take 3 days to respond to an email or voicemail) it can carry you a long ways.

NCLANDMAN

If you are honest, talk well with people, are not starving to death, love the outdoors, then get your license and come talk to me. Alot of guys are in the farm real estate business now, but there is still a demand for HONEST, decent, non-nut job agents to sell land. I started it a log time ago, just about before any of the other land guys you see advertised now did, and it has been very rewarding, on many levels.

www.southernfieldandforest.com

NCLANDMAN

Good advice, IMO. The vast majority of realtors I've come across are derelicts so if you're professional, mature, and get things done in a timely manner (i.e. don't take 3 days to respond to an email or voicemail) it can carry you a long ways.

THIS IS WHY AN HONEST AGENT WHO RETURNS CALLS AND HAS HALF A BRAIN WILL EXCELL IN THE BUSINESS. I have been dealing with brokers for 24 years and of course we all get things wrong from time to time but I would say that 97% of the agents in the business don't need to be there.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
If you don't really want to sell, I would go into appraising. It gets you outside and you don't have the pressure of selling.

NCLANDMAN

No offense to the appraisers, but one real estate deal can potentially pay what a years worth of appraisals can, and you do not have the hassle of all the research that goes into each appraisal. The problem I see with appraisals is you have to do the same amount of work to make $400 as you do $2000. Most appraisers I know spend alot of time selling. They have to sell themselves to get the appraisal business which like real estate attorneys, has become a commodity. Again, not knocking the business as we all need appraisers but alot of the guys I know who do it have gotten out of it and gotten in to real estate instead. I have alot of respect for appraisers but I could not do it.

Last edited: