Carbon Steel Pan

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
There has been quite a bit of discussion in the past about cast iron pans. What about carbon steel pans? I don't like to use cast iron pans on my smooth top stove because I'm concerned the cast iron pan may scratch the surface if moved around and could bust the glass if I have an "oops" when setting it down on the surface.

Carbon steel pans are supposed to have many of the same benefits of cast iron but are lighter, faster to heat and have a smooth surface. You season them like a cast iron pan and use the same cleanup procedures.
https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-cast-iron-and-carbon-steel-235289

Is anyone using a carbon steel pan? Do you like it?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I had one I camped with for years, that has vanished.

loved that thing. Could cook anything in it. Heated quickly, cleaned easily (sand and water in a pinch), and was generally non stick with some melted fat.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I have a friend that has blacksmiths for over 45 years. He had made him a carbon steel pan many years ago Today his wife will tell you right quick that if he every leaves her she gets the pan

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Man up and use the cast iron.

Seriously, I'm waiting on my buddy to season his and let me know how it works.

One thing that I've noticed watching Hell's Kitchen (Don't say anything, it's the best show on at that time frame when you have free over the air tv), it appears that they have large stacks of steel pans that they cook in, especially the meats.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
have a wok that's been around for ever. works great for many things.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They are also great. Have about all the ones that Lodge makes.
My guess I got my first about 6 years back.
Want to say a few 6" ,.two 10"and a 12". Then the 6" double handle and a 14" double.
The 6 " is my favorite egg pan.
The big one is great for stir fry.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You didn't have to pay my bill to replace my glass cooktop. Get this - I broke the glass when I dropped an empty Corelle serving bowl on it.
I use my 12" or 13" on the glass top all the time. I haven't dropped one yet, and I hope I don't. I want a gas stove, but I don't want it because I done something stupid.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
glass cooktops suck. but it does not stop me from using what I want. I'd be more concerned with dropping them on my toes.🤣
I want gas too, but could not justify the cost to switch over for one appliance. maybe if the water heater goes, I'll add an on demand then go with gas cooking.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I used cast iron a good bit on a glass top whirlpool stove with great success. Bought a new place 2 years ago that has one of them big 6 burner gas stoves in it. It's great for everything, but 4 of the burners won't go low enough to simmer. The 2 big burners have a small simmering burner in the middle that works well. Gas stoves will spoil you for sure.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
You didn't have to pay my bill to replace my glass cooktop. Get this - I broke the glass when I dropped an empty Corelle serving bowl on it.

Did that stupid corelle explode?

wife busted our stupid glass top (like having an iPhone to cook on) and I replaced it for about $200.

so far I’ve replace a burner, top, I end element, and thermostat on that stove. Probably should’ve just ponied up for gas when we considered it 6-7 years ago.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
glass cooktops suck. but it does not stop me from using what I want. I'd be more concerned with dropping them on my toes.🤣
I want gas too, but could not justify the cost to switch over for one appliance. maybe if the water heater goes, I'll add an on demand then go with gas cooking.
that's what I'm waiting on. Something to go out.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that's what I'm waiting on. Something to go out.

my wife's glass top has the 9"/12" burner gone bad,,, it's on order and in route (stupid long lead time),,, already have the repair figured,,, just need the part,,, dang thing cost $120 just for that piece,,,,

simple is better

but she likes that kind of stove and who am I to argue with here

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Did that stupid corelle explode?

wife busted our stupid glass top (like having an iPhone to cook on) and I replaced it for about $200.

so far I’ve replace a burner, top, I end element, and thermostat on that stove. Probably should’ve just ponied up for gas when we considered it 6-7 years ago.

It didn't even chip the Corelle bowl. Somehow it just hit the edge of the glass top at the right angle for it to break. It did a spiderweb crack pattern where it hit and one long crack across a burner.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
my wife's glass top has the 9"/12" burner gone bad,,, it's on order and in route (stupid long lead time),,, already have the repair figured,,, just need the part,,, dang thing cost $120 just for that piece,,,,

simple is better

but she likes that kind of stove and who am I to argue with here

First time I ever used the high temperature oven self-cleaning procedure, it shattered the glass in the door. Appliances are just not well made today.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

Well, they stop me because I learn from my mistakes.

From what I read, you get many of the same features in a carbon steel pan as you do in a cast iron, but at half the weight. I have a Lodge cast iron pan. I hate it for the rough surface. I want a smooth surface. You can get that in a vintage cast iron pan for several hundred dollars. You can also get it from several manufacturers of new pans for several hundred dollars. Or I could get it in a smooth carbon steel pan for less than $100.