Car Buying Questions

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How do you buy a car in NC from an individual? Is it just not possible to maleness the transaction and drive on a weekend day. I know the dealerships can make it work, but what about when buying from someone else?

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Honest answer....I take a plate off of another vehicle and slap it on. I make sure I get insurance and have the title notarized and figure I would just ask forgiveness

A lot of states allow you to go without a plate right after you purchase a vehicle for this reason.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Last one I bought I put insurance on it and drove it home with no plate. We filled out the title and did a bill of sale which I had in the car obviously. Monday I went to the DMV and got a plate.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
The last highway patrol man that I asked about said that you are worse off to use a plate from a different vehicle than to have no plate at all. I was told to get an insurance policy on the car, have the dated and notarized title/bill of sale in the car with you and do not be caught driving without a plate if the dmv has been open for one day since the dated notary. So, drive it home with insurance and all the paper work and get tags first thing Monday morning.

double

Twelve Pointer
Do not put another vehicles tag on the car. That is displaying a fictitious tag and can and will most likely resort in a tow bill should you be stopped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have bought two that I made prearrangement with person I was buying it from. They kept insurance on it and let tags on it thru the next business day. I got insurance and tags asap and mailed tags back.

I'm not sure but I've heard a bill of sale and new title allows three days to get tags.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here’s what would concern me.....

Suppose I sell you a car on Saturday for $5K. You give me cash. We both have a bill of sale. You never go to the DMV and later you’re involved in a wreck.

Isn’t that going to be messy for me?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here’s what would concern me.....

Suppose I sell you a car on Saturday for $5K. You give me cash. We both have a bill of sale. You never go to the DMV and later you’re involved in a wreck.

Isn’t that going to be messy for me?
Not if you went before a notary and you signed the vehicle over to them it won't. You no longer own the vehicle. That is the reason they require notarized signatures.

NC 270

Eight Pointer
Correct, and if the title has been signed and notarized, you no longer own or are responsible for the vehicle.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
A notary isn't certifying to the accuracy of anything. They ARE certifying that they witnessed the named person sign a document in their presence. They will notarize ANY document that you sign in their presence...

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I don't worry about it. I've been pulled over before and just explained what I was doing. It depends on the cop I guess. You could make a Just Married banner, but says Just Purchased with the strung up cans bouncing along and just drive it home. Probably best not to use Natty Ice cans, maybe something more responsible like a good local craft beer.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
  1. Agree on the deal.
  2. Meet in front of notary and sign title over
  3. Buyer gets the notarized title.
  4. If seller wants a Bill of sale then complete one. Notarized if desired.
  5. Buyer calls insurance company and gets imsurance on vehicle.
  6. Buyer Can now drive vehicle home With title as proof if just purchasing the vehicle
  7. go to tag office and get tag.

Steps 2-7 can be done at the tag office which is normally easiest if their hours of operation fit your schedule.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Papa Smurf has it. Last one I bought, we met at the tag office; quick and easy. Well, not that quick; but it was easy.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The problem being addressed is when the DMV is not open or one of the parties can not meet during DMV hours.

Last one I bought was the later scenario so we met at a UPS store to get the title notarized. We also had a bill of sale, one copy for the seller and one for me. I got the vin number and had insurance added before we met to sign the title. We took his tag off and I towed it home on a tow dolly and went to DMV the next day to get my tag.