Car AC not working

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've got a Mini Cooper that has another 2k miles left on the warranty . My AC started blowing hot air over the weekend. I took it in for service this morning. They just called and said that it needed some refrigerant. They tested for leaks and could not find any. They used Dye. Am I right in thinking that an AC system is a closed system and shouldn't need refrigerant unless there is a leak? The warranty does not cover filling up refrigerant.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Yes it’s a closed system. If it was in fact low on reefer, then there’s a leak. It’s probably very, very small and hard to find.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's a leak. They probably put some stop leak in there but it will leak again.
You can fill it every year for cheap but it's not gonna get any better. Tell them to fix it, and you shouldn't be paying for a faulty system under warranty.

mattperry

Spike
Contributor
we do this for a living. if it is low on refrigerant there is a leak somewhere. for some reason they do not put dye into the system from the factory. as is often the case we have to recharge the system and add dye and return to the customer. sometimes it takes a couple days sometimes months for it to leak back out and then we can find where it is at.

you could buy a cheap "leak detection kit" which consist of a uv light and glasses, and keep an eye on it yourself, that way you may be able to detect the leak (see the dye) and return it to the dealer to get fixed before your warranty expires

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
we do this for a living. if it is low on refrigerant there is a leak somewhere. for some reason they do not put dye into the system from the factory. as is often the case we have to recharge the system and add dye and return to the customer. sometimes it takes a couple days sometimes months for it to leak back out and then we can find where it is at.

you could buy a cheap "leak detection kit" which consist of a uv light and glasses, and keep an eye on it yourself, that way you may be able to detect the leak (see the dye) and return it to the dealer to get fixed before your warranty expires
That damn dye is the schitt, but I learned the hard way no matter what you are putting it in wear gloves or you will look like you have been fingering an alien. :eek:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As has been said, you have a leak. The ac is a closed system, and if low the freon is leaving the system, not being "used". I would demand a repair under warranty and have it taken care of NOW. Once that runs out, repairs will be on you, which can get rather pricey. I do not understand just how "filling the system" would not be covered and am sure they KNOW it is leaking. Sounds as if they may be trying to get you out of the warranty time frame.
Make them fix it!

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Update - They replaced the Comperssor and it still does not work. When they went in to replace the PCV valve they discovered metal filings in the lines. It looks like they are going to have to rebuild the entire AC system now.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Update - They replaced the Comperssor and it still does not work. When they went in to replace the PCV valve they discovered metal filings in the lines. It looks like they are going to have to rebuild the entire AC system now.

You mean expansion valve? There is supposed to be a screen before it to catch anything that will damage it. If the screen is nasty with debris, the condenser will have to be replaced also. Very possibly the lines too.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You mean expansion valve? There is supposed to be a screen before it to catch anything that will damage it. If the screen is nasty with debris, the condenser will have to be replaced also. Very possibly the lines too.
That's it expansion valve. I believe they are replacing everything now. Been there over a week now. Never had to fill up a loaner before. lol

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As has been said, you have a leak. The ac is a closed system, and if low the freon is leaving the system, not being "used". I would demand a repair under warranty and have it taken care of NOW. Once that runs out, repairs will be on you, which can get rather pricey. I do not understand just how "filling the system" would not be covered and am sure they KNOW it is leaking. Sounds as if they may be trying to get you out of the warranty time frame.
Make them fix it!
Exactly what I thought they were trying to do also..... needs to get something in writing that the issue occurred under warranty and was not repaired..... then should be covered when leak is found

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
It will be fall soon and no need for an AC anyway.
On a serious note, Get the problem solved before the warranty goes out, even if you have to aggrevate the dealer to death.