Cape Fear Cats

Had a good weekend on the river, caught some nice fish. Them flathead sure do fight hard in that heavy current, landing them on the yak was just bonus points. We released all but one channel cat and one small blue.
20180506_084658.jpg

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They eat good as well. Had a buddy in college who was leery of a cat fish because they eat trash and other fish.....only took one 12 lb blue to turn him into a fish fry fish guy. Most freshwater fish eat fine. There are some select saltwater varieties that are a little tougher for me.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They eat good as well. Had a buddy in college who was leery of a cat fish because they eat trash and other fish.....only took one 12 lb blue to turn him into a fish fry fish guy. Most freshwater fish eat fine. There are some select saltwater varieties that are a little tougher for me.
Good gosh, there isn't anything nastier than a hog or a chicken. They will eat anything that won't eat them.

Yes they do, I love fish but after fishing the long hours I fish i get real lazy and don't want to mess with cleaning fish. I keep maybe 2 to 5 fish per year, all under 10 lbs.

got a two year supply laying there in the dirt!!

All these fish were released except for one channel cat and one small blue that my co-worker in the pic kept for dinner. We kept them thru the night then took pics in the morning and released them back to fight another day. The reason we throw back the ones over ten lbs is becasue those are the breeding fish. There have been studies done that show a blue cat takes 8 to 10 years to grow to ten lbs and reach sexual maturity. Most the rod and reel Cat guys i know practice CPR on majority of there catch and 100 percent CPR the big ones. Like anything else, it all depends on the body of water, region, conditions, bait, ect. Some places they grow faster and bigger and others very slow. I will always CPR the big ones...gives someone else a chance at a big fish someday.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
fully understand the rationale for releasing big catfish, do it myself,,,,

just never seen CPR done that way,,,live and learn,,,,,