Cap and Ball load

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Been messing around with my Old Army Ruger .45 cal. shooting 220 gr. Kaido bullets. The hunting load I have settled on is 40 gr. of Pyrodex P. It is clocking out around 1300 FPS MV. I was getting an avgerage 1050 FPS @ 18 yards. I set up the Chrony at the target. Yah, the load is accurate enough I chanced hitting the chronograph and I didn't blow it apart. LOL Bullets are soft with a BRN of around 12 for deer. I have some harder too. Going to try an kill a deer with it soon.

Last edited:

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
The Ruger Old Army can certainly handle it, since it's built on the Ruger Blackhawk frame. It probably will work better with the soft lead bullets expanding into the rifling. I would think harder lead bullets might not expand enough, but I am easily proved wrong. The paper target at 25 yards, shooting from a bench rest position will tell which or both are up to the task.

All my shooting with the Ruger Old Army has been with the .457 RB and reduced loads for accurate target shooting at 50 yards. We play a different game, but we both enjoy the fun and outcome.

Good luck!

Reactions: DRS