Can't stop the grass

Bperry

Six Pointer
I am at the end of my rope with grass. I have two 1 acre plots on my farm. I’ve done soil test, appropriate lime and fertilizer and everything is right for ladino clover. In 2017 I tried to grow ladino clover and had so much grass I gave up and decided to start over this past fall.

Last summer I sprayed RU for grass. Waited two weeks and sprayed RU for grass again. Tilled and waited three weeks and sprayed with RU and 24d. 30 days later I tilled and cultipacked the plots and followed with a 4th spray of RU a week or so later. Waited for a little moisture for the ground to get soft and planted clover with a Brillion seeder I have specifically for planting small seed. Lots of equipment and not enough knowledge I guess.

IMG_6035.jpg

I was trying to make sure I killed any grass and planted the clover three to four weeks later than I should have. Now I have what you see in the picture. Good even clover growth across the entire two acres but I also have a perfect crop of grass across the plots also.

1. I’m not sure if this grass is something that grows in the winter and dies when it starts getting hot like rye grass or if it will start booming come spring? Whatever it is I didn’t intentionally plant it.

2. I have read you shouldn’t spray first year clover. If I spray with Clethodim or something similar in the spring will it kill the clover since its small and young?

3. Should I let the clover grow through the summer and spray later in the year or will the grass choke it out first?

4. Do I need to just start again and do something different I have been missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
First off don't retill with the clover in place, that just disturbs the seed bed and brings more seed to the surface. Last year was a exceptional year for rain and this just compounded the problem. Just keep it mowed I mow my clover 5-6 times a year. I spray it for grass twice in the spring before the grass gets to mature. if it rains a lot I might spray in the fall. The first year is the toughest and mine looked the same as yours. Don't do the first mowing till the clover flowers turn black. If you do have to mow mow it higher than the flower tops. Mowing will be key the first year to knock back the weeds. Don't let the grass seed out and the next year will be easier. My main clover field is now 6 years old and I will probably have to replant it next year. 7-8 years has been our norm for white clover fields before planting. I know yours doesnt look like much but you have to be patient!! Its sort of like centipede 1st year it sleeps 2nd year it creeps 3rd year it leaps. Mow and spray and you will be fine. eventually the grass will be choked out.

These pics were at 4 and 5 years.
5years
clover-L.jpg

4years
20170401_194324-L.jpg

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Bperry, you need to spray a pre-emergence before planting seed, but you have to wait several weeks before planting clover seed when you put down the pre-e....the pre-e will kill all seed for several months....no weeds. I spray it every spring, well, February, on my bermuda, along with 2-4d and RD and have no weeds at all till late summer. Probably could spray the pre-e on your clover in early spring before weed sprout out and kill lot of them.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
If you want to kill the grass in your clover by spraying use Clethodim 2E Herbicide. Don't let the grass get taller than 6-8 inches. Make sure you use crop oil when you spray. Use 2 oz to 4 gallons with 2 cups of crop oil, this works well. 12 oz per 24gal
and 12 cups of crop oil

Last edited:

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
pursiut can be sprayed on clover and will control grass and broadleafs. Just be sure to follow the labels carefully. Clethodim May burn young clover but shouldn’t kill it. Also use a nonionic surfactant instead of a crop oil. That’ll help keep some of the burn down.

Last edited: