Can't stand a liar!! Karma always wins, though!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
The other day at work, I was working in triage. 2 people showed up and said "We need a rapid COVID test for our out of country flight tomorrow." I asked the standard questions "Have you been exposed? Any symptoms? Do you need to see a doctor?" They answered "No" to all questions. I explained that we do not offer rapid COVID testing unless you are seeing a doctor and have symptoms. I also thoroughly explained that we would still test them if they wanted, but the results would take 48-72 hours. I also gave them directions to 2 places that offered rapid testing. They declined to go those places and said they wanted to be tested here at the hospital. I again explained "You will NOT have your results by tomorrow. Its 48-72 hours." They said "We will take our chances, our friend got results in 3 hours." Whatever, don't know your friends circumstances.

I tested them and sent them on their way. Well, they showed back up yesterday morning. They called the Administrator on Duty and said "We were told we would have our results in one hour. We have an international flight to catch, we were blatantly lied to by your staff member." The AOD then calls my boss and gives her an earful about me lying to patients. AOD also says that since I lied to them, WE WILL RAPID TEST THEM RIGHT NOW. My boss then calls me and gives me an earful about lying to people. I took the tongue lashing and then said "Anyone want to hear WHAT REALLY HAPPENED?" I explained to them that I told the patients multiple times they would not be rapid tested and it would take the standard 48-72 hours. I even had another staff member who witnessed me tell them this and she backed me up. Of course, everyone changed their tune after that. They still rapid tested the people, though...

The same people then called back about 4 hours later. They said "We are standing in the airport, they won't let us board because you didn't give us a QR code for boarding." I said "Never heard of a QR code and the hospital does not give QR codes for COVID testing." I confirmed this with our AOD, hospital never has done anything like that. Turns out if they would have went to one of the other testing sites I told them about, they could have got their QR code!! They missed their flight.

Karma is a witch!!

Lakeview Bear

Ten Pointer
Contributor
People think they can bully their way through things instead following the procedures. Shame on management giving into this type of behavior and automatically not taking the side of their employees, that's why it persists. The right outcome still prevailed. Too bad their selfish behavior caused problems for at least three people at the hospital and who knows how many at the airport.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
And here is the reason for about half of the country's problems. The hospital should have told them to eat crap and bark at the moon.
It’s all about customer service!!! Give people what they want so the hospitals’ scores are better. Means more money.

It really pissed me off when they started offering to allow people just to get a COVID test and not see a doctor. Just swab and go. That’s not what the ER is for. Such an abuse of the healthcare system. I can’t tell you how many hundreds of people I have tested and that’s all they were there for. By law, if you refuse to see a doctor, then you don’t have to be offered ANY testing of any kind.

What’s next? Let people walk in and say “I don’t need to see a doctor, just give me shot of morphine and I’ll be on my way.”

Lakeview Bear

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It’s all about customer service!!! Give people what they want so the hospitals’ scores are better. Means more money.
This reasoning leads to bad customer service to people that really need it. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like alot of hospitals and healthcare facilities are run by Business and Administration degrees and not nurses and Dr's that know how things work not looking at spread sheets. I get we need both.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This reasoning leads to bad customer service to people that really need it. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like alot of hospitals and healthcare facilities are run by Business and Administration degrees and not nurses and Dr's that know how things work not looking at spread sheets. I get we need both.
And the hospitals don't have any problem setting firm policies on other things that really piss people off. So it's a matter of what they think is important. Apparently, virtue signaling is more important than retaining quality staff, and not offending system abusers is more important than saving needed resources for those who truly need emergency care.

But if they want to waste resources on that, and thus deteriorate the level of emergency care available to the responsible patients who aren't abusing the system, that's their prerogative. The thing I hate is any employer who immediately assumes Joe Blow off the street is telling the truth, and their trusted employee who has been there for years must be in the wrong or lying.

It's not going to stop. With the liability, I could see body cameras or at least audio recorders for health care workers. A digital record of the conversation.