Canoeing an Unbelievable Place with super clear water

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Fished the Sante Fe River last week for Suwanee Bass (that will be in another video) but you must see this footage. super nice spring run with bass where you can see a Suwanne bass swinning with 2 largemouths. Best underwater footage is near the end. Super Clear and awesome water.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Ever fish Lake Rousseau or Withlacoochee River?
I’ve got a place close by but haven’t fished them yet. Rainbow River nearby also, but I’ve been told the fishing isn’t as good as the other two.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Ever fish Lake Rousseau or Withlacoochee River?
I’ve got a place close by but haven’t fished them yet. Rainbow River nearby also, but I’ve been told the fishing isn’t as good as the other two.
no but there is a place off the withlacoochee I would like to visit......gum slough. awesome place.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Rainbow River is truly awesome. I did a SCUBA float down there and it was clearer than any swimming pool I've ever been in. Years later, I took my family and we tubed it. You can look down in 20 feet of water and see grains of white sand on the leaves of plants at the bottom.

That same trip we went to Homosassa Springs and Crystal River and did some snorkeling with manatee. Rub them on the belly and they will roll over like puppies and squeak. My son, maybe 10 at the time, later said that the best part of the trip wasn't Disney or Sea World, it was snorkeling with manatee.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Rainbow River is truly awesome. I did a SCUBA float down there and it was clearer than any swimming pool I've ever been in. Years later, I took my family and we tubed it. You can look down in 20 feet of water and see grains of white sand on the leaves of plants at the bottom.

That same trip we went to Homosassa Springs and Crystal River and did some snorkeling with manatee. Rub them on the belly and they will roll over like puppies and squeak. My son, maybe 10 at the time, later said that the best part of the trip wasn't Disney or Sea World, it was snorkeling with manatee.
I went to Juniper Run 2 years ago and Canoed and fished it. Juniper Run is usually listed as one of the top floats in the usa.......small winding and clear. I visited several other springs as well then.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Fun video Mack. Thanks for posting.

I did my scuba certification checkout dives in Ginnie Springs 30 years ago, then went down to Crystal River and Rainbow River to do the swim with manatee thing. It was great fun though some pretty places. In 1977 I also did a canoe trip down the entire length of the Suwannee River from Okefenokee Swamp to the Gulf of Mexico. Spent 29 days straight on the river and had a blast. We paddled up into several springs and up the Withlacoochee. Those springs are incredibly clear and loaded with fish. Wish I had the time to do it again right now.

I had a realization diving on that trip in 1993 that has helped my fishing ever since; When I was drifting with the current in the river, I noticed that there were no big bass along the shallow grass flats. Not that they don't go there, they just don't spend much time there. Also noticed that the biggest bass were always on the best cover in the deepest sections of the river. The bigger bass were on the best cover in the deeper water...every single time, without exception. So, if you're fishing for bass along the river, look for the best cover with deep water access, 'cause that's where the big 'uns hang out. Buck Perry used to teach that deep water was the home of big fish and my observations support it.

Jim