Canes 22/23 season

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tough break....... at this point I don't see the Canes going very deep into the playoffs.
I agree if this turns out to be the case. I have not seen anything today reference the second opinion. I continue to hope it is a sprain/partial tear that will let him finish the season but it does not look good and a terrible way to wreck what could have been. One ACL and and one Achilles sinking one of the top 3 teams in the league this late.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From the Canes facebook page - Forward Andrei Svechnikov will undergo knee surgery on Thursday. He will miss the remainder of the season and playoffs.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well so much for that hope.. damn.. no good timing but this could be the worst I have seen..

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got back on track last night all be it against a middle of the road team. Outside of a few glaring defensive breakdowns they looked like themselves. The drop off from Svetch to Drury was pretty apparent but expected. I expect we will see more of those odd number rushes as our D has to pinch so much so we can score. I do not see that as a winning formula come playoff time.. still might get out of the first round on work ethic alone.. after that I forsee much trouble.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well it looks like the offense is waking back up. We'll see how far they go but my thoughts at this point is they won't make it out of 2nd round. Hopefully I'm wrong but I certainly don't see them getting by the Bruins. ....

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
But I’m glad to get a win tonight…..even with a flat 2nd period, effort was good in the 3rd.

Go Canes!

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Canes are certainly not looking good at the right time.
Hockey is a strange game. Puck Luck is real. I have seen them play great and lose, play terrible and win. I only got to watch the 1st period last night (thank goodness) but what struck me was the physical size difference between Tampa and the Canes.. having two of our bigger boys on offense out hurt means you have some mismatches physically as well as skill level across the lines.

Max and Svech are both 6'2" and 217lb / 195 lb respectively. While at the same time Jarvis/Aho/Drury all go a buck seventy five(ish) and Necas and Turbo are both at or below 190.

Does not seem like much and you can win some giving up that size but the playoffs are a physical grind.. thus my skepticism about a deep run.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Heck of a game tonight..... canes pull out the win..... and NJ lost 😀

Came across this old photo of Irbe when he played with the Canes. His equipment always cracked me up and in this photo you can see it was pretty old and dirty.....

Screenshot_20230403-004502_Chrome.jpg

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wow they pulled that one out..... first period was great but it was pretty bad in the 2nd and the 3rd wasn't much better. If ya just keep winning you don't have to worry about NJ. 5 on 3 and ya can't burry it?