canada geese?

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
When targeting them specifically you see a lot of people set up hunts in September for the resident season which is pretty fun. But people do hunt them all season, but its not really worth the time and effort unless you have an area that is holding a considerable flock. Other than that its just opportunistic shooting during duck hunts when they fly into the spread. The breast makes great jerky, and theres enough meat on the drumstick to throw on a grill.

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
We hunt them on a farm pond in the piedmont and have better luck with them than with seeing ducks normally. This season, though, we've been out three times and only seen a few geese on one occasion. I freeze the breasts and legs and eat on them all year. Slow cook and shred/season the leg meat to make tacos, quesadillas, etc. A lot of people won't go through the effort to remove the legs but they are well worth it. I've also made thai curry, german style braised goose with bratwurst, and then of course the regular bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers with the breast meat, among many other things - my wife and her family have even grown to enjoy eating sky carp!

There are some great recipes and ideas on www.honest-food.net

jparsons14

Four Pointer
Thanks for sharing. We killed a few back in September in the Piedmont but once the other neighboring ag fields were cut they moved on. There were hundreds frequenting the corn fields there for a week or two which was a lot of fun. After that they seem to have just disappeared.

thoma018

Button Buck
they are hunted; perect on the grill for "poppers"--breast slices with a toothpick skewer of pineapple, jalapeno and a bit os cream cheese smeared on it...

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Thanks for sharing. We killed a few back in September in the Piedmont but once the other neighboring ag fields were cut they moved on. There were hundreds frequenting the corn fields there for a week or two which was a lot of fun. After that they seem to have just disappeared.
Geese will do that, I have had times I'll be on their pattern for a week, then the season opens and they're gone. It's like they know. I enjoy hunting them over water on loafing holes, when doubles and small groups work it's a fun hunt for sure.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Years ago first time i tried goose cooked on oak wood at hunting club thought was good. But was right deep in 1/2 gal of Early Times. Couple times i have tried it since then realized the first time i tryed it could have been a piece of shoe leather and would have thought it was good. I will have to be mighty hungry to eat goose now

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I will have to be mighty hungry to eat goose now

I felt the same as you having only eat resident birds from back in the late 90’s early 2000’s when we shot the living hell out of resident geese in September. They were everywhere you looked and every farm pond had geese on it. They were ok, but we found some Hispanics that loved them and we have them all to them.

few years ago, we shot some true migratory “Canadian” geese on a duck hunt in west TN. I breasted them out and they were a completely different tasting bird compared to the resident birds. I liked them. Still not on par with ducks, but definitely worth cleaning fir yourself!

Einstein

Six Pointer
I’ve made jerky with success before.

I’ve also done the breast in the crock pot with vegetables pot roast style and been very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I like goose meat - breasts get grilled or sauted,,, legs and thighs get pressure cooked / slow cooked

but then I like swan as well,,, and many/some say they aren't fittin' as well,,,

I must have the "rona for decades!! no sense of taste maybe?????
I love goose and swan too cooked many different ways, but if you wanna talk about Sous Vide stuff? DO that with a goose or swan breast then REALLY quick sear in brown butter with some type of berry sauce (blackberry or cherry my fav) drizzled over the slices. Goose pastrami is fantastic as well, a bit of time to make but well worth it.

32valvemd

Button Buck
Man sous vide is my JAM! for the last two thanksgivings i've sous vide the turkey, cooking the dark meat separate from the breast and at different temps, using a reverse sear first and then finishing on the smoker. never going back to oven roasting / frying. just amazing. i'd love to bag a couple honkers and try them out the same. if anyone has a spot with geese and wants to try some sous vide bird, i'm willing to barter!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
but if you wanna talk about Sous Vide stuff?

I don't have one of them souse vidal things,,, maybe one of my daughters will spend the money for their Daddy a present one holiday,,,

lots of talk on goose (and deer) pastrami,,, haven't done that yet neither

so many good meals,,, so little time

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
I don't have one of them souse vidal things,,, maybe one of my daughters will spend the money for their Daddy a present one holiday,,,

lots of talk on goose (and deer) pastrami,,, haven't done that yet neither

so many good meals,,, so little time
I love them subtle “dad hints” to daughters😀. Work great with my 3.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I like goose meat - breasts get grilled or sauted,,, legs and thighs get pressure cooked / slow cooked

but then I like swan as well,,, and many/some say they aren't fittin' as well,,,

I've done swan breast in a crockpot and it was phenomenal! Can't remember how I did it though 😂. Goose on the grill is hard to beat if you do it right.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hunted & ate lots of Canada geese in Colorado. They were grain fed all the way down from Canada and were really tasty.

I plucked several, stuffed them with apple slices, orange pieces, and onion slices, then cooked them in a brown in bag most of the way, then opened the bag and glazed them with butter, orange marmalade, and a little cinnamon the rest of the way. YUM!

Jim

We got a lease at a farm for them this year did really good early season and half way through season. Now that its later we still see them but they know the drill now. We have gave them plenty education. We can get them to turn but once they get within 150 yards they get the heck out of dodge. Ive ground up a lot of mine for burgers. Used beef fat and added garlic powder, salt, and pepper and them vacuum sealed them. Really tasty have had multiple people that turn their nose at them really liked it.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I like goose...First way I had it was marinated in a soy/terriyaki/garlic/lemon concoction then grilled and served rare.

A friend also made it into a jalapeno bratwurst, that was truly excellent.

I've eaten a lot of it as fajita meat at camp, and that's...ok...it's good at the moment because it's duck camp and we're a martini or two deep, and all is well, but it does get tough when overcooked.

FWIW, Galliforms (Grouses and Pheasant and Quail and Partridge and Chicken and Turkey) live on average 1.5 years (though I'd imagine turkey's may go a bit longer.) If you don't really botch the cooking, you should have a relatively consistent product.

Geese average 10-20 years in the wild. If you shoot a 12 year old goose it might be tough about any way you cook it unless you pressure cook or can it. I have heard that canned duck/goose (in a pressure canner) is pretty darn good.

Fishhunt-365

Eight Pointer

How do you cook the swan? Headed to SQ tomorrow for some action,I hope. Marinate and grill?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How do you cook the swan? Headed to SQ tomorrow for some action,I hope. Marinate and grill?

many marinate, i do sometimes - slice breast like a loin into 3/4” steaks, grill or sauté hot to medium rare

swan stew

swan salad

and most anything else that you’d use dark meat for

the thighs and legs are great

i pressure cook first (seasoned up etc) then use for all kinds of things