Can we carry a side arm during BP season.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
This subject may have been brought up before. I have read the regs under "taking game" and " retrieving downed game".
It reads a little grey to me.
Mainly for personal protection and snakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
CC and open carry is legal unless landowner prohibits it. Game lands there is a list where that is the case. You can not hunt with or dispatch an animal with the exception of a 22 for dispatching. At least that is what I understand.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
If you have a Concealed Carry Permit you can carry a concealed handgun while hunting with any weapon, even on National Forest Game Lands.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is America. Gamelands can differ....but on provate land, it would be hard to find anyone that would write a ticket for having a sidearm.

Now if you have a 10.5” blackhawk woth a 1x4 scope....thats looks a bit particular.

I doubt a normal carry gun would cause a second glance.

As far as dispatch...i have only had to once, and i used what i had on the belt at the time.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Except coon hunting during closed season, and even with a CCP on private land that will get you a citation. There is an old antiquated law on the books about not having a firearm in your possession during closed season and they will still get you over that one.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so a coon hunter cannot have a gun on them outside of the season?

With you mentioning the word “antiquated” when describing that law....would the relatively new ability to legally carry have no bearing?

On another note....was coon hunting a big enough thing that people were poaching them? It would have been before ny lifetime and sparks my curiousity.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so a coon hunter cannot have a gun on them outside of the season?

With you mentioning the word “antiquated” when describing that law....would the relatively new ability to legally carry have no bearing?

On another note....was coon hunting a big enough thing that people were poaching them? It would have been before ny lifetime and sparks my curiousity.
Still written plain as day, page 59 left hand column. And they still enforce it. And no matter what the game, big or small, SOMEONE poaches or breaks the law. Count on that.