Can Turkeys See Hunter Orange?

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I plan to hunt turkeys in Maine this fall and because I'll be there during moose season I have to wear one article of hunter orange. There should be some leaves still on the trees so maybe I won't stick out like a sore thumb. Hopefully they'll think I'm just a fall pumpkin and pay me no mind.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Can Definately see it but in my experience 2 things will get you a shot don't move and blend in. I've had em feed within yards of me by not moving and sitting against a big poplar with some spruce sapings around me. Actually have better luck not spooking them on ground than in tree wearing orange they ok at distance but that lead hen gets nervous of me in that tree.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I was squirrel hunting (with orange) when I killed the one, and only turkey I've ever killed. Damned thing would not leave me alone and kept strutting up and down the old logging road I was sitting beside and gobbling about every other step.
I have some patience but not enough for his antics...... He was obviously suicidal and I helped him along his chosen path...... So, orange didn't phase that ONE turkey, don't know about all of the others...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was hunting down at bladen lakes game land along the river,,, I was sitting at the base of a tree with a blaze hat and blaze vest on,,, heard some turkeys coming from my right so sat still,,, that flock fed up to me, around me, and kept going,,, had some within 6 feet of me,,,

can they see it? don't know - they have never told me
but what I do know, is they can see movement, whether you're wearing blaze orange or camo,,,

you'll do fine

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I was hunting down at bladen lakes game land along the river,,, I was sitting at the base of a tree with a blaze hat and blaze vest on,,, heard some turkeys coming from my right so sat still,,, that flock fed up to me, around me, and kept going,,, had some within 6 feet of me,,,

can they see it? don't know - they have never told me
but what I do know, is they can see movement, whether you're wearing blaze orange or camo,,,

you'll do fine
Exactly ! Blaze orange , camo , or yoyr birthday suit. Movement is a no go.