Can anyone ID this fish?

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Caught a couple sunfish yesterday in the Pasquotank that I've never seen before. We caught plenty bluegill, pumpkinseed, warmouth, fliers and then this fish:

Tysen%20gold%20ear%20flap%20fish%201_zps8tr65puf.jpg

Tysen%20gold%20ear%20flap%20fish_zpsjsbkqp0c.jpg

It had shiny, almost irridescent gold edges on it's ear flap, with a more elongated snout than a typical bream. The mouth was also slightly bigger than a bluegill, redbreast, etc...

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
No, we caught plenty of warmouth yesterday also. Grew up catching warmouth all the time - very common in the Pasquotank.

This fish had a smaller mouth than a warmouth, different colors and shape. Shaped like a bluegill in the body, but the head had a more elongated snout, which shows up in the pictures above. But the gold edge to the ear flap was very striking and the first thing I noticed about it.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, on some it will be red or orange and some it will appear very faded, kinda gold.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
A dark skinned shell cracker if I had to guess but heck I’m not a biologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, on some it will be red or orange and some it will appear very faded, kinda gold.

These two had bright, shiny, almost iridescent gold. Very striking....

I've caught thousands of different kinds of sunfish in the Pasquotank over a lifetime, and had never seen these before.

Thanks for the answers....

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
These two had bright, shiny, almost iridescent gold. Very striking....

I've caught thousands of different kinds of sunfish in the Pasquotank over a lifetime, and had never seen these before.

Thanks for the answers....
nice fish, what ramp do you use on the Pasquotank?