Camping in bear country

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Biggest thing I’ve learned is a bear isn’t something to be scared of... just respected
THIS^^...is what I learned from living under a tarp amongst bears in Idaho for 7 months, 35 yrs ago......locals taught me the locking truck box trick and "triangular" camp set up back then. Used the truck winch to raise and lower my grub can. The creek was my refrigerator...and bath tub.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
It's been my experience that the common trash panda can give even the most determined bear a run for his money. I've witnessed the crafty devils unlatch a cooler, untie a suspended food cache, and open Tupperware with ease. They are not as destructive, but the Houdinis are smarter and can even team up to solve a problem. With their dexterous hands, they can easily fish a whole pack of bacon through a 3/4 inch hole they tear in the corner. A buddy of mine, while backcountry camping in the GSMNP, even had a family slide down the rope to his backpack, unbuckle it, and toss the belongings to the waiting members below

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Bear tracks are a little bigger than a coon track. I am not the one who saw the bear, it was other campers. If I had woke up that close, me or the bear or both would have had a clean-up to do.