Camp Caswell

JuniorHopson

Button Buck
I'm headed to Camp Caswell for my church's annual men's retreat near the end of October. Last year was my first year at this church & I quickly found out we don't have any anglers in the bunch. I did my best to find the bite but ultimately ended up only trapping a few crabs, catching a few shrimp with my cast net & brought 2 sting rays to hand. I know Caswell has been visited my many folks over the years so surely someone on here has some insight for me. We'd be able to access any areas along the camp as well as short kayak trips.

If anyone has any tips on finding some keeper shrimp & where I can harvest some oyster I'd love that intel also. Thanks in advance.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
That camp is awesome. Last thing on my mind would be fishing and shrimping. So much history there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Used to be one heck of a flounder hole out off the pier on the Southport side. It was a stretch but it could be reached by casting. That’s been several years ago. Not sure if it’s filled in or what nowadays but a pile of doormats were pulled out of it from boats.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
You have to cross the river to get to legal oyster Waters if open by proclamation. The west side of the river is never opened. You might find a few shrimp in mollass creek but likely small Brown's. Your best bet would be to fish Elizabeth river for trout and red / black drum .

JuniorHopson

Button Buck
You have to cross the river to get to legal oyster Waters if open by proclamation. The west side of the river is never opened. You might find a few shrimp in mollass creek but likely small Brown's. Your best bet would be to fish Elizabeth river for trout and red / black drum .

I've got the shell fish maps so I think I've got my boundaries covered there. I was planning on potentially crossing the inlet & looking for oysters around battery & striking island. Any idea if those areas hold them?

What would be your recommendation for fishing for the trout & drum? Be as specific as you're willing.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
The east side of strikers has some oyster rocks but a really tight clusters due to not being harvested. You will be able to get plenty to eat but you will have to bust the clusters. The smaller rocks up near and in the grass will be your best bet. Plenty of clams under those rocks also. Trout and drum are pretty reliable at the mouth of all the creeks off the Elizabeth river. I prefer live bait but do well with white gulp mullet 2' under a popping cork .

JuniorHopson

Button Buck
The east side of strikers has some oyster rocks but a really tight clusters due to not being harvested. You will be able to get plenty to eat but you will have to bust the clusters. The smaller rocks up near and in the grass will be your best bet. Plenty of clams under those rocks also. Trout and drum are pretty reliable at the mouth of all the creeks off the Elizabeth river. I prefer live bait but do well with white gulp mullet 2' under a popping cork .

Thanks so much. Really appreciate all your insight.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
There is a school of slot size red drum in the bay where the boat landing is today , I say em on my lunch break today from the road around the camp and had to stop and make sure. That was falling tide , I would bet money on risings tide next week especially out of a kayak etc

JuniorHopson

Button Buck
There is a school of slot size red drum in the bay where the boat landing is today , I say em on my lunch break today from the road around the camp and had to stop and make sure. That was falling tide , I would bet money on risings tide next week especially out of a kayak etc

Oh man! Thanks so much for that intel. I unfortunately won't be there until much later in the month but hopefully they like where they're at.

JuniorHopson

Button Buck
Did very well Friday in the creeks between the island & ICW on soft plastics. Only one keeper trout but brought about 30 fish to hand between 3 of us, with about double that in hook ups.. Caught my first 2 red drum ever. Both ~15" so not keepers but beautiful fish! Really appreciate everyone's help and advice.