Camera placement

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I've got 4 Moultrie A5 cams coming this week. Walked a new pair of fields last weekend to see what we could find. Saw lots of tracks and 5 large does about 75 yards back in the woods. Should I put the cams at the entrance points on the fields, or deeper in the woods near trails?

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I've got 4 Moultrie A5 cams coming this week. Walked a new pair of fields last weekend to see what we could find. Saw lots of tracks and 5 large does about 75 yards back in the woods. Should I put the cams at the entrance points on the fields, or deeper in the woods near trails?

Just being honest here, with the slow recovery of the A5 you better off not try and use this camera on trails it is far to slow to capture multiple deer walking past it. It is used mostly for bait piles because of its slow recovery time. I would take that into account when placing this type of camera.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
By slow recovery, do you mean the time from detecting movement to the time it takes a picture? We aren't using bait piles - unless you count an entire field. I'm mostly trying to determine the time of day the deer enter and exit the area, and what routes they take.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Not familiar with this camera but one suggestion might work. Try facing the camera up or down the trail. In this case it's best to elevate the camera by placing it higher in a tree (10 feet or so and aimed downward) so as not to spook incoming deer.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
By slow recovery, do you mean the time from detecting movement to the time it takes a picture? We aren't using bait piles - unless you count an entire field. I'm mostly trying to determine the time of day the deer enter and exit the area, and what routes they take.

He probably means that and it takes time after pic taken before it will take another?

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer

Here is a good read:
http://www.trailcampro.com/moultriea-5review.aspx
The recovery time is the time after it takes a pic til it can take another. Trails can require a fast recovery time for a camera to catch all the deer moving past without something to stop them for a few moments. Trophy rocks, Hr Carvers minerals are good options for this.

OnslowDeerMan

Not familiar with this camera but one suggestion might work. Try facing the camera up or down the trail. In this case it's best to elevate the camera by placing it higher in a tree (10 feet or so and aimed downward) so as not to spook incoming deer.

Great suggestion Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
What about using the video mode? If the first deer triggers it, I should get a recording of any others behind it.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
If that type of camera doesn't eat batteries up too bad video's would work....... hanging it high like Larry suggested would be a great idea too.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
ArmyMutt, back it up a little from the trail, angle it 45 degree down trail if perpendicular was 0 degrees and straight down trail was 90 degrees. Do what Larry suggested. Also if it eats up batteries on video put it on shortest video or 3 or 5 shot burst pictures if it has it.

Or get a Covert

Last edited: