Came across this old bow.....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went over to a friend's house to look at his roof and as I was leaving he brought out this old Browning recurve. It was bought new by his father, he has no interest in archery and knows that I do. Y'all know me, hard for me to turn down an old vintage bow!
It appeared to be a 1969 model Browning Nomad Stalker, 52" and 46#@ 28". Caked in dust and had a set of old Kwikee Quivers set on bicycle tire rubber on it that had been on it so long that they'd pretty much melted onto the limbs...
Surprised me both for how easily it cleaned up with a little car wax and how new it looked afterwards. Think I'll build a string and play with this one a while....
recurve.jpgBrowning.jpg

Attachments

• serial number.jpg
    serial number.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 18

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
A shakespeare recurve was my first bow,,, in 1973,,,,,,

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A shakespeare recurve was my first bow,,, in 1973,,,,,,
I was a late blooming bow hunter. My Sgt. was an avid bow hunter and talked me into trying. Just so happened it was '73. He sent me home with of all things a 70# Hoyt and some cedar arrows that were about as big around as stove pipes. I got the fever and bought a little more manageable setup later on that year used and the next year I killed a small yearling. I was as proud of that thing as if I had killed Bullwinkle. LOL

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love the old recurves- I have a bunch of 'em. It's amazing that a 50+ year old bow can cast an arrow still as well as it ever did. That one cleaned up nicely.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went over to a friend's house to look at his roof and as I was leaving he brought out this old Browning recurve. It was bought new by his father, he has no interest in archery and knows that I do. Y'all know me, hard for me to turn down an old vintage bow!
It appeared to be a 1969 model Browning Nomad Stalker, 52" and 46#@ 28". Caked in dust and had a set of old Kwikee Quivers set on bicycle tire rubber on it that had been on it so long that they'd pretty much melted onto the limbs...
Surprised me both for how easily it cleaned up with a little car wax and how new it looked afterwards. Think I'll build a string and play with this one a while....
View attachment 112291View attachment 112292
Pretty wood…

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got in touch with my stringbuilder this morning, Mountain Muffler Bow Strings. Steve is an absolute artist, he builds the finest I've found and I have his strings on all of my tournament rigs. He's building a B55 endless for me to match the bow, I'll post pictures again later when she's braced...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, they are still a few of those old wood-riser compounds out there too, particularly the old Brownings. I see them pretty regularly from people who want to know if they can be converted to Warfs/ILF...

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I have a Ben Pearson #7090 Cougar that I retired when I got a Bear compound years ago. Use to stalk deer with it. Could sling one a right good ways. We use to roll tires down hill and try to thread one thru it. Oh the memories.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First deer, a big doe, that I got I got with a Robin hood 40 pound recurve bow with a quickee quiver and cedar arrow with glue on broad head in 1978 when I was 15. It was the second year of big game hunting for me.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shot recurves when I was growing up but I guess it was in the late 90's when it hit me. I'd been shooting compounds in competition for quite a while and every time I needed a change I'd have to run to the archery shop and pay them to fix it or work on it. And then one day I picked up an old wooden static-tip Bear bow at a flea market, gave the guy $20 for it. Took it home, grabbed some carbons, and started flinging.
I was just amazed at the simplicity.
When I got back to Carolina in 2009 I bought another old Bear from a forum member here, bhoward if I remember right. Haven't picked up a wheeled bow since...

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm not man enough to draw it back all the way. But I should shoot it. I put a new string on it a couple of years ago.
Sell that shoulder-wrecker and get one you can! I've gotten rid of all my heavyweight stuff. You don't need all that weight to have fun and you sure don't need more than 40#-45# these days to kill a deer. These bows today ain't your daddy's bows...

Edit: Minimum draw weight in NC is 40#, I've had 40#ers that would push an 8.5gpp arrow close to 190fps. Tune that true, put a scary sharp broadhead on the front, and keep your range under 25 yards....it'll kill anything in the state...

Last edited: