Cam in new spot. Critters don't like my smell.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Moved one of my cameras to a new spot. Obviously I needed a shower. As soon as the critters hit the spot where I was standing they hit the brakes, then the gas!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I know it's likely smell, but after rain but I've sent them spook weeks later, wonder if in video mode it makes a sound they can hear? that maybe we can't really here. I've noticed deer spooking a lot when cameras are in video mode, I have video in my Spartans and don't use it. They might be spooking in photo mode to but maybe we just don't see it. I use wireless and add external large battery, visually eye sore but good that I don't go in there much. I'm trying to figure out how best to hide a 42ah battery now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know it's likely smell, but after rain but I've sent them spook weeks later, wonder if in video mode it makes a sound they can hear? that maybe we can't really here. I've noticed deer spooking a lot when cameras are in video mode, I have video in my Spartans and don't use it. They might be spooking in photo mode to but maybe we just don't see it. I use wireless and add external large battery, visually eye sore but good that I don't go in there much. I'm trying to figure out how best to hide a 42ah battery now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I have noticed the same thing in video mode. I also see deer looking at the camera on second or third picture when set for multiple pictures. I use only the black or invisible flash, so I assume they must be hearing the shutter. It doesn't seem to spook them, but they do look. I use Browning, Covert, and Moultrie and it's the same with all of them.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I only use black Covert and Spartan. I've never seen Covert in Video mode but I've seen the wireless black Spartans spook deer in video mode. I've never seen them look at a Covert MP6 or MP8 black in photo.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Pretty sure it isn't the flash this time. They both spooked after hitting the same patch of ground.
No matter how well you hide them, they do get spotted occasionally though.
Mature bucks and coyotes get fooled by this cam regularly. Only one I've had better than this one is a camera I made myself.
Watch how many critters pass this camera at close range and never hear or spot it.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I think on a scrape line, during that time of year, you can get away with it more, but still it spooked some deer.

Last edited:

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Pretty sure it isn't the flash this time. They both spooked after hitting the same patch of ground.
No matter how well you hide them, they do get spotted occasionally though.
Mature bucks and coyotes get fooled by this cam regularly. Only one I've had better than this one is a camera I made myself.
Watch how many critters pass this camera at close range and never hear or spot it.
You had a couple of nice bucks there! Was that white flash, regular IR, or invisible IR flash?

JoeR

Eight Pointer
You had a couple of nice bucks there! Was that white flash, regular IR, or invisible IR flash?

Reconyx uses invisible IR. It's pretty dark if you look at it in total darkness, but some folks can still see it. Different people and different animals can see further into the IR range than others can. There were some heated debates years ago on some of the camera forums over who could see what. If you want one that nothing can see you're going to have to use those 890 nM LEDs in your cam, or as an auxiliary flash. Other than that, you're gonna have some negative reactions to the camera, especially in video mode.
Cameras definitely have an effect on wildlife behavior. If it's not the noise, or the flash, it's an odd looking box on a tree, or the scent, or the disturbance of you going to check it. Thankfully nobody's life depends on it! :)
Joe

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think they hear it normally. It's silent. EXCEPT for the first picture after a day/night IR switchover. The IR filter snaps into place with a loud click on most cameras. After that first pic of the day/night, mine are absolutely silent. Some cameras the "click" is worse than others.