Calling/Hunting Coyotes in NC

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm in need of a little help ladies and gents. I'm wanting to do a little yote hunting this year after deer season but I have absolutely no clue how to start. Where I hunt I have been told they are around but have never seen any and only heard them once. My main question is, other than bait and 'hunting where they are', how do you get coyotes to come in to a set? I have a little hand call that I bought more or less to play with but has anyone had any luck using such a thing around here?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I have called in a few, very few. I have the electronic Fox Pro predator call and have used it but have not been very successful. I have had far better luck calling them with a mouth call, the dying rabbit squaller.

My best luck has been over a bait pile and I DO NOT use any calls there. I don't want them to become anymore educated than they already are, they are already IMO one of the smartest animals I have ever hunted. Also my deer cameras set up on the bit pile reveals that 99 out of 100 video clips I get are during the hours of darkness. That doesn't mean that coyotes never visit during the day time or that I have not seen several coyotes while varmint hunting, turkey hunting or deer hunting. Having a bait pile just "sweetens the chance of a successful encounter".

Dale

full camo, be still, don't over call... try to use an attractor to keep their attention off you... they'll try to get downwind of you so try to keep an open area to the downwind side and force them to either show themselves in the open of come in with the wind to your advantage...

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Youtube is full of videos on how to trap votes. Calling without experience just educates them. Trapping without just means they dig out your bait

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have called in a few with my fox pro both at night and during the day. It helps if can find an area that they have to travel over a large open area to get close to the call. They will sneak up on you in a second and be gone just as quick.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I have been seeing some Coyotes while deer hunting. So I am interested in some ideas as well. I am going to start hunting them in January.

I have a hand caller but didn't have much luck with it the 2 times I "tried" hunting coyotes last year.

Not looking to spend a ton of money either.