Call reccomendations please

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If I'm going to continue this hobby I feel like I should have at least one duck and goose call. Give me your reccomendations say $125 per call or less. Custom, local, mass produced, etc guide me oh wise ones.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm going to continue this hobby I feel like I should have at least one duck and goose call. Give me your reccomendations say $125 per call or less. Custom, local, mass produced, etc guide me oh wise ones.
I really like most of the calls I’ve gotten from Buck Gardner. Not too expensive & sound decent. Sportsmans warehouse carry them I know

Gus

Six Pointer
Get a lil 4 way whistle for $15 an a cheap mallard call. With the whistle you can easily learn peeps for teal, whistles for widgeon and sprig, and drake black/mallard calls.
Hen mallard calling takes some practice and anything but realistic calling will send ducks out of the county. Practice on your cheap mallard call AT HOME until you figure it out, then decide if/what you want to upgrade to.
Don't get too caught up on price. Like Coach said above some of the cheaper calls sound fine. I've acquired some expensive (to me) calls over the years through gifts or trades- cocobolo, acrylic, blah blah- but the call I blow most when hunting is a $25 Haydels DR-85.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
What type of hunting are you doing mostly? more open water or confined areas? That matters when you decide what call to get. Need more volume open water, less in confined places like timber or a small river or impoundment.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I would say a vast majority of private call makers use echo components. For what’s it’s worth. ABC calls were nice when I could buy them at the school from his wife years ago, but the prices now are crazy. For what it’s worth. Allen is a super nice guy.

dbohunts

Six Pointer
I know they get bagged on a lot nowadays, but an original duck commander call is still hard to beat. Cheap (or at least they used to be) and sound pretty good.
x2, I have an original I paid 19.99 for a couple decades ago I think. Same call is now 3 times as much. Works great for the timber and small holes.

There are several local to NC guys that make solid, custom calls in the price range you are looking. Also I second the basic whistle. I use it more than anything, especially when everyone else is competition calling at every passing cormorant Good luck!

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What type of hunting are you doing mostly? more open water or confined areas? That matters when you decide what call to get. Need more volume open water, less in confined places like timber or a small river or impoundment.
Almost exclusively small water ponds, swamps, timber.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
For the last couple years i have been using South Bound calls made by Dave Jordon between Mebane and Raleigh. I need loud he sends soft and subtle he sends. Been very pleased with his stuff.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
For most a double reed does seem to be easier to start out but if you can get started on a single reed you will be able to run any of them. Starting on a cheaper call and moving up is solid advice nothing wrong with haydell or buck gardner. That being said if you just want to spend more money I’m a fan of echo and rm customs. Echo Meat hanger or xlt would be a good starting point.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I have an Echo (I think it is the DRT model) that I like. They are on sale at Mack's (again, I think). I purchased a ABC Old Salt Acrylic this season. Only used it a few times but I like the way it sounds. I agree with others on a good whistle. I use them for wigeon and the mallard drake call. I will say I struggled with the pintail call so I purchased the Primos High Roller. I only use it for pintails but it is the only whistle I can truly make trill and sound like it should for sprigs.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I have an Echo (I think it is the DRT model) that I like. They are on sale at Mack's (again, I think). I purchased a ABC Old Salt Acrylic this season. Only used it a few times but I like the way it sounds. I agree with others on a good whistle. I use them for wigeon and the mallard drake call. I will say I struggled with the pintail call so I purchased the Primos High Roller. I only use it for pintails but it is the only whistle I can truly make trill and sound like it should for sprigs.
This is the best whistle I have found. So much versatility.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Goose- anything grounds made
Duck- prime meat (original echo is the best, but hobo’s call is identical)

jparsons14

Four Pointer
Almost exclusively small water ponds, swamps, timber.
I hunt the same. Calling will rarely do anything but mess you up. Most of the time they are either coming to us or not. By the time the mallards get here they’ve heard everything under the sun and the dumb ones are dead!

Hunt a big pond and regularly have ducks land on the pond out of range so we get to watch them all the time. They very rarely make any noise other than a few chuckles here and there. Can count on one hand the amount of quack I heard hunting this season and I hunt more than I should.

All that to say the jace Robertson pro series is a good value

NCBulldog

Spike
I hunt the same. Calling will rarely do anything but mess you up. Most of the time they are either coming to us or not. By the time the mallards get here they’ve heard everything under the sun and the dumb ones are dead!

Hunt a big pond and regularly have ducks land on the pond out of range so we get to watch them all the time. They very rarely make any noise other than a few chuckles here and there. Can count on one hand the amount of quack I heard hunting this season and I hunt more than I should.

All that to say the jace Robertson pro series is a good value
I think the saying goes
The best duck conservation tool ever made was the duck call

So remember, use in moderation
It’s already been said, but if you’re a beginner I would start with a $25 double reed

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got several that I really like but you mentioned small water, for that I really really like my DC Jase Robertson Pro Series. It can’t hit the loud hail calls like some of my others but sounds really good on the low quiet end. Second would be the RNT Daisy Cutter but the DC call is cheaper and if you’re new to calls, I think that one is easier to use.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I use a haydels redleg for ducks and a time grounds guides best for geese. Those are both too loud for you. Im not a call expert but I do know that you dont need to spend more than 30 to 50 bucks for a good call and there are 34262 different calls that mimic a hen mallard so you have alot of good options. Also dont overcall. Practice alot, a good place is when riding around in your vehicle.

Last edited:

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
I used a DR-115 for about 25-30 years Works great with minimal tuning. Haydels 85 is a great call but always froze up with me if it was really really cold.

Neverfail

Spike
I like GK calls Mallard Slayer and Call Girl