Cabelas starting to cave

RPD689

Spike
I was in the store about three weeks ago. The sales person told me that BPS had eliminated the product warranties that Cabelas provided. No more life time replacements on anything.

witler

Eight Pointer
When shopping at BPS during the holidays, learned that they no longer issue purchase points unless you were using their credit card.
Over time used to accumulate a lot of points to use towards another purchase.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I understand the outcry, BUT does the Business model make sense? I say the same thing about Pro Athletes. Do they have an ROI? Does this person who does these hunts have a ROI to make her support worth it? May not be ANY indication of caving to the Libtards, but they are in business to make money.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If I never step foot in a BPS/Cabelas again it won't be a real big loss for me or them. At this point of my outdoor endeavors I have what I need and those places don't generally carry item I desire.

<>< Fish

TH7

Eight Pointer
Cabelas online bargain cave is no longer even close to the sales they used to have. I kept checking back in for a while in hopes to see deals like I used to get before the merger. Finally gave up. Magazines are more bass pro focused now. A jacket I have that came from Cabelas was labeled as a "new item" with a Bass pro logo on it in a magazine. Found that interesting.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I buy all my clothing from archery talk and Mossy Oak online store so much cheaper and I have plenty of little shops close by for anything else I need their products and customer service has went way down

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I buy all my clothing from archery talk and Mossy Oak online store so much cheaper and I have plenty of little shops close by for anything else I need their products and customer service has went way down
I'm all for supporting small our door shops most of time service is so much better by more knowledgeable people

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Cabelas online bargain cave is no longer even close to the sales they used to have. I kept checking back in for a while in hopes to see deals like I used to get before the merger. Finally gave up. Magazines are more bass pro focused now. A jacket I have that came from Cabelas was labeled as a "new item" with a Bass pro logo on it in a magazine. Found that interesting.

The bargain cave at cabelas next to Carowinds is no longer there. They sale champion generators in the bargain cave now.

TH7

Eight Pointer
The bargain cave at cabelas next to Carowinds is no longer there. They sale champion generators in the bargain cave now.
I gotcha. I was at the grand opening of that store. I was in town for work. They handled that opening very well. Ton of employees they brought in from all over.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
None of these stores today as good as the old Mom & Pop's stores use to be. You remember the Hills store and Thorns in Raleigh back years ago....now they had what you wanted and not China made either. Remember, could walk into Thorns on a Saturday morning and they had a wash tub sitting out in the isle, full of water, and someone had caught a 10 lb. bass in to get it weighed....that bass took up whole tub! Now, those guys knew what we needed and if they did not have it today, it would be in there next time you came in. Post pictures of big fish caught, bucks killed, and was could always help you find answer to any question you had concerning hunting and fishing. Hills just closed few years ago, I got items in my barn with price stickers on it from Hills....mind goes back to those days each time I pick up one of those items to use.
I remember that wash tub. I saw the biggest bream I've ever seen in my life in that tub. That must have been close to 50 years ago.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Billy, close to 60 years now....saw my first red plastic worms in there....rigged with hooks and mono in them....my Uncle came by one day and had them and we went to pond across the road and bass hit them bout every cast....most amazing thing have ever seen. I bought them red worms and cleaned out that pond....think they were made by Cream.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Billy, close to 60 years now....saw my first red plastic worms in there....rigged with hooks and mono in them....my Uncle came by one day and had them and we went to pond across the road and bass hit them bout every cast....most amazing thing have ever seen. I bought them red worms and cleaned out that pond....think they were made by Cream.

I remember those as well. It was amazing how well they worked to begin with.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
When shopping at BPS during the holidays, learned that they no longer issue purchase points unless you were using their credit card.
Over time used to accumulate a lot of points to use towards another purchase.
Really? Last time I was there they asked for my member card but it was a few months ago.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My wife worked for BPS when they opened the concord mills store. She got a credit card back when she started there to get the reward points. Later she left there to become a RN. When they changed over from Bank of America to capitol one her card didn't turn over like everybody elses...suppossely she had the old card they said. Lost her reward points but after a hour they found them and gave her a gift card for a replacement of $159. They told her to apply for a new capitol one card..she did and was informed by pack mule delivery that she was denied with a credit score of 781.

Things sure have changed..back then you got 10% off on your first purchase up to $150.00 when you got a credit card. Today you get $20 off and they going to sale your telephone number to a 3rd party until you tell them to stop it.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I don't do CO and I haven't shopped Cabela's in a while.
And that's OK ... I'll shop elsewhere.
They make their decisions, and I make mine.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have been buying all my target loads for clays from Cabela's - buy them by the flat when on sale.
What is my next best on-line shop to get basic 1200 fps or close, 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz Remington or Federal 8 and 7.5 shot?

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the link Sky Hawk; that will be my new go to for shells.

I had ordered a flat of Herters shells; they went on sale at about $38 a flat right after Christmas. I also had ordered a few other items. The other items arrived this week; but no shells. I went on line this morning to check the status and it showed "cancelled".

I had gotten no notification. I called Cabelas this morning and was told "Herters shells are being discontinued and that order was cancelled and no longer in stock." I asked was anyone going to let me know? He apologized and thanked me for being a Club member. I told him it was not his fault but that was my last order and I would be shopping elsewhere from this point forward for shells.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
My husband and I never go to Bass Pro. We have found a wonderful mom and pop store. It is worth the drive because the prices are so good. It is near Mebane and it is owned by one of our own.............Linda Mace. It is Mace Sports at 6921 Industrial Drive, Mebane, NC. Their prices are great. I highly recommend them.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
....Cabelas releases statement

so did camping world,,,,I don't take it at face value,,,,paper holds still for anything,,,they are in full damage control mode

now don't get me wrong,,,two sides to every story,,,,but as someone said up-thread, a half blind man could see this PC crap coming,,,,the two organizations are nothing but pure business that happens to sell outdoor related items,,,no better than a walmart in my mind,,,,

I am as done with them as I am with with walmarts,,,won't mean you won't see me in one some day but I sure won't if I have other options,,,,

Tallpine89

Four Pointer
Same here, I gave up on BPS years ago as their customer service and shipping was sub par to Cabela's. Over the years I have done a lot of business with Cabela's but now like others feel they have sold out to BPS and it is showing. I agree the Bargain Cave is a joke anymore and this is where I would always look first and bought a lot of things that I might no have bought at regular price but had to try it out at the discounted prices. I now find myself at Academy more and shopping online at Midway USA.

Reactions: TH7

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I used to do a ton of shopping with Cabelas, had a Cabelas black card that I used for all my work expenses. Never was a big BPS fan. The customer service has gone downhill fast and the prices are crazy! Unless you buy something on sale your paying the highest retail costs out there. I'm pretty much done with both of them.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I've been done with BPS ever since I stopped at the one in Raleigh … and they had a sign to check your handgun at the door. BS.

The Dude

Eight Pointer
I've been done with BPS ever since I stopped at the one in Raleigh … and they had a sign to check your handgun at the door. BS.

I think the check your firearm signage is for returns and what not, not just somebody carrying.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
so did camping world,,,,I don't take it at face value,,,,paper holds still for anything,,,they are in full damage control mode

now don't get me wrong,,,two sides to every story,,,,but as someone said up-thread, a half blind man could see this PC crap coming,,,,the two organizations are nothing but pure business that happens to sell outdoor related items,,,no better than a walmart in my mind,,,,

I am as done with them as I am with with walmarts,,,won't mean you won't see me in one some day but I sure won't if I have other options,,,,
RE the two sides...I wonder if it was something like, "Don't pose with Jaguars or Lions, we don't need what happened to the Dentist to happen to us" and that was misinterpreted. I also have to consider that the woman who went public had something to gain or a play in mind. If she's looking to start her own show, product line, outfitter, whatever, this move brought her name to the public in a way that it hasn't in the past.

I'll let that one pass...for a handful of practical reasons involved with retailing guns and ammo in a large setting, as well as processing warranty returns, worrying about shrinkage, etc...

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
Before the merger, Cabela's cloths where made great. Seems when you brought something Cabela's it would last! I typically buy all my tackle from Tackle Warehouse other than some custom made stuff.
Reading your experiences, I'll just steer clear of either store.