Cabelas starting to cave

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Cabelas and BPS are large enough to tell political correctness to go pound sand. Sad that they are falling in line with the liberal perspective especially with their support base.

double

Twelve Pointer
Unfortunately a lot more money is made selling hiking boots flip flops and hippie hiking and camping gear than guns and ammo. Those ultra liberal nuts spend a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
As a life long consumer of Cabela's and Bass Pro I have pretty much stopped buying from either. Their business practices before, and especially after the "merger" are not in keeping with what originally attracted me to them.
Both companies at one time had Guide Programs that afforded discounts on their branded merchandise with a minimal requirements on the part of the recipient. That requirement was constantly increasing and eventually became burdensome and I dropped both of them for other sponsors.
I know that all things change in time but their new course is one that will eventually take them from the top position to positions of lesser importance with their core customers. L.L. Bean can be held as an example.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

thanks for the info - I gave up my cabelas card (Black baby!) when it went to capital one and haven't been in either store since the merger

Been involved in enough mergers to know what was/is coming for them - the leadership of that organization is pure business and will make decisions based on what they THINK is the best for them to make more revenue and profit -

I won't help them in that

plenty of other places to get my gear - if I want to support someone who has a closed mind on hunting I'll buy gear/clothes from ebay or Amazon - it's cheaper anyhow. For the rest (guns / ammo) I have plenty of other options

hope they go the way of Dicks and Gander - others will take there place

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I cancelled my card a couple of weeks ago. I believe to they are headed down the wrong path. Too bad for the Cabela's brothers. I'm not sure this is how they wanted their legacy to end up.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Funny if you look back to all the chat about them joining each other they said it would be no different and Cabelas would keep their name, highter quality and also name brand items.
Fast forward to today, there fishing side is full of BP label crap that changes every year.
If you find something you like chances are that they will not have or carry it when you return to get more. The price in emails, on line and adds do not match and you need to request price match for it. Some items they run adds in Cabelas flyers yet dont carry in store.

I got my notice the other day that the CC I have been using will be canceled because I have not activated my new one.
It was also a Black card. With the new account and change over and not having a cap one account before they want to start me over on the low level.
Also just about every statement has had problems.
It is getting old.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
f you look back to all the chat about them joining each other they said it would be no different

every merger says that,,,,and every merger doesn't follow through with that,,,normally in a year +/-,,,,,,,and here we are about a year out,,,,,,changes start, sometimes slow, but they start changing,,,,and eventually it is all one

let's see,,,will they be called "Cabela's Bass Pro",,,,"Cabelas Pro",,,,or just Bass Pro Shop? Time will tell

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Blind man could see this coming, bps making cabelas go PC and quality of products going down to eliminate them, I see it in the ads and now with the PC crap, I guess bps thinks I will shop their products if/when they ruin cabelas....think again...ain't shopping either.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Blind man could see this coming, bps making cabelas go PC and quality of products going down to eliminate them, I see it in the ads and now with the PC crap, I guess bps thinks I will shop their products if/when they ruin cabelas....think again...ain't shopping either.
Yep
I could see it coming. Not shocked at all.
Just being a life long supporter of Cabelas, having traveled just to see and go to their big stores... Just did not want it to happen.

I liken it to a family business that you grew up with like a restaurant that sold the best fried chicken in the world and you returned to find the granddaughter took it over and went vegan then lashed out at you for asking for chicken.....

Over the years I have seen many places one would think are the best in the world yet you will never walk into the place again.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've been a Cabelas Black card member for as long as I can remember. I've had nothing but trouble since the switch from The Worlds Foremost Bank to Capital One. The customer service is non existent with Capital One.

At the conversion, my remittance statement said to mail to Cabelas and I did. Got next months statement and they showed my payment posted 2 weeks late. Charged me interest. I called, explained that the bill said mail to Cabelas. It should have gone to Capital One, so Cableas forwarded to CO. I explained all this to CO and they took care of it and waived the interest. Next statement showed interest charges AND a payment received before the due date. I called and asked why interest charges, and they explained that if you are late one month, they charge you interest for 2 more consecutive months per guidelines. I've paid off my monthly balance since I've had the card. Probably close to 20 years if I recall correctly.

Christmas Eve, I was at my family luncheon and my phone rang. Left a VM. It was CO calling about a suspicious charge on my card. $545 at some womens store. Wasn't my charge, so they went through my charge history over the phone. I only had one fraudulent charge so the froze my card. AND froze one of my legitimate charges. :mad: Explained they had to issue me a new card and it would take a few days in the mail. I explained to her that it was Christmas Eve and I wasn't expecting a miracle, but I would like to have the card fairly soon because it is the only personal card I carry. I have a business card to use to get me by, but as of today, that new card hasn't arrived yet. That's 8 days without a card. I know darn well Cabelas would have had me a card in less than 4-5 business days.

I'm going to burn all my points and cancel this card as soon as I can find another card I want. I'm done with them. Sad thing is I know they are all like CO. So sad to see a good company like Cabelas dismantled.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
let's see,,,will they be called "Cabela's Bass Pro",,,,"Cabelas Pro",,,,or just Bass Pro Shop? Time will tell

Morris Outdoors. Outdoors sounds a lot better to greenies than something that is tied to hunting or fishing.

This is just the evolution of a business. We've all seen it a thousand times, whether it be an outdoor store or gun company. Our marketplace is full of companies, some thriving, some deceased, that used to cater to outdoorsman. Everything from Abercrombie and Fitch, to LL Bean, to Dick's, to Cabelas (RIP). It always starts with a hard working individual providing a solid product with solid service and ends up with a capital investment firm squeezing every last penny of profit out of it by selling Chinese products with a service call center in India, and a financing that has been packaged and resold a dozen times to mutual fund investors.

As a customer, you ride that train as long as it takes you where you want to go, then you find a new one.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Morris Outdoors. Outdoors sounds a lot better to greenies than something that is tied to hunting or fishing.

This is just the evolution of a business. We've all seen it a thousand times, whether it be an outdoor store or gun company. Our marketplace is full of companies, some thriving, some deceased, that used to cater to outdoorsman. Everything from Abercrombie and Fitch, to LL Bean, to Dick's, to Cabelas (RIP). It always starts with a hard working individual giving providing a solid product with solid service and ends up with a capital investment firm squeezing every last penny of profit out of it by selling Chinese products with an service call center in India, and a finance department that has been packaged and resold a dozen times to mutual fund investors.

As a customer, you ride that train as long as it takes you where you want to go, then you find a new one.

It certainly seems like an opportunity for a niche that is no longer being serviced. Maybe some other company will step up?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I was trying to remember last time I was in bass pro and can't its been years I guess it'll be quite few more if ever I hate that cabelas is going this route I used to enjoy their stuff but times are changing and I'm not changing with them so my stubborn self will shop elsewhere

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I try and stop by Bass Pro in Myrtle Beach when I'm in town. If they go the way of Dicks then I'll go to the Sportsman's Warehouse in Wilmington.

CD

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It certainly seems like an opportunity for a niche that is no longer being serviced. Maybe some other company will step up?

If there is a market, someone will step up. Or rather be raised up by consumer demand. However, I suspect the marketplace has been forever changed from the environment that allowed Cabela's to thrive. What I see is Amazon drawing a lot of the generic purchases, and customers buying specific, higher end items more directly from the mfr. The days of big box hunting/fishing stores keeping loads of inventory in the back room are dwindling, if not gone.

Actually, Cabela's could compete pretty well, if they went back to a mail order (internet) company right now, without the stores. Some of the traditional gun sites like Midway have been increasing their general hunting gear, so there must be a market there.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I've been a Cabelas Black card member for as long as I can remember. I've had nothing but trouble since the switch from The Worlds Foremost Bank to Capital One. The customer service is non existent with Capital One.

I'm going to burn all my points and cancel this card as soon as I can find another card I want. I'm done with them. Sad thing is I know they are all like CO. So sad to see a good company like Cabelas dismantled.

Same thing happened to me.
I posted on here about it.
They charged me late fee and show the bill being paid early.
They did a FC on me for something I ordered. From cabelas of all people. They locked my account, did the alerts and all the other crap for a charge I made at cabelas.
Paid in person next time early was hit with late fee and charges when paid in full at cabelas several days early.

Plan to get another card soon then trash this one after I burn my points.

Thinking about just going back to the SECU and getting an extra card.
I have one that I use for direct payment on month to month items but don't like to use it for mail order or POS with the risk of lock then needing to set back up all my payments.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Will add one thing.
I always liked them because I could order everything I needed for fishing and hunting.
If on back order they would ship later and no big deal.
Now it is hard to find hooks and other terminal tackle I need or want.
Try to find good catfish or drum hooks in 8 9 or 10/0.
They all carry the lines but not enough or the sizes.
It has become a problem being my friend at Mojos closed.
I could call or text him a item and it would be in soon.
Even thought about starting a business just to have the stuff I want or need.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I could care less about hunting in Africa ....in general a lot of it is can hunts. Secondly i don't care much about the professional hunting celeb crap.... Most of that is advertising anyway s..... I think it's a bit different then hireing a lobbyist to oppose guns or to ban gun sales to young adults legally able to buy otherwise.
I have a Cabelas black card and don't have any plans to change it at this point. I still love getting my points and getting a new gun or stock piling ammo. I hate the changes the quality h as dropped off significantly. Not supporting them won't bring Cabelas back..... Academy Sports is fine and they get a fair amount of my business but they are not on the same scale as BPS / Cabelas. Those who think 'LL Bean is a better supporter ought to walk through the Freeport Maine Stores and see how much hunting and fishing stuff they carry..... Far less I promise you then Cabelas and just as much is made in China

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Huh. Guess I'm the only one who hasn't had any problem with Cabela's or capital one. In fact the capital one site performs infinitely better with quicken than the Cabela's version ever did. Ymmv

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Had a club offer 10% off last time I went. Got some stuff out of the cave...total $82....discount applied, went up to $95. I was told I couldnt use the 10% off...I could either get the cave discount or 10%. Line piling up behind me. What I should have done was make him void everything and make 2 transactions.

Also, the discount at the bottom of the receipt after you call in is now gone.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
None of these stores today as good as the old Mom & Pop's stores use to be. You remember the Hills store and Thorns in Raleigh back years ago....now they had what you wanted and not China made either. Remember, could walk into Thorns on a Saturday morning and they had a wash tub sitting out in the isle, full of water, and someone had caught a 10 lb. bass in to get it weighed....that bass took up whole tub! Now, those guys knew what we needed and if they did not have it today, it would be in there next time you came in. Post pictures of big fish caught, bucks killed, and was could always help you find answer to any question you had concerning hunting and fishing. Hills just closed few years ago, I got items in my barn with price stickers on it from Hills....mind goes back to those days each time I pick up one of those items to use.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
gonna start a Herter's type store again,,,including books like ol' George used to write ("how to get out of the rat race and live on $10 a month" and such) with products that "are made better than they need to be",,,,,,,,:cool:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
gonna start a Herter's type store again,,,including books like ol' George used to write ("how to get out of the rat race and live on $10 a month" and such) with products that "are made better than they need to be",,,,,,,,:cool:
That would be very nice.