Buying first turkey call..

336.FiremanT

Button Buck
Looking to get a box call and slate call for this season, with so many brands to choose from and not having a ton of money to spend. I wanted to see what y’all recommend for a good price and sound?

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
I have a couple Hanks pot calls, he is from NC. Very good glass pots , easy to run and sounds great.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Commercial or custom? You'll get a lot of responses for both. I prefer custom and only carry them other than a primos power crystal.

I'm on the wait list for a Tobacco Row slate and can't wait to get it.

I like Lynch box calls for commercial. Cody and Woodhaven for commercial slates.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/push-button-calls/1163-hs-strut-push-button-yelper.html
If your just starting out this maybe all you need I've killed a number with it. I'm probably in the minority but the call maker and type matters very little it's the cadence of the call that is more important. Go pick up a box call that sounds good at your local sporting goods place and a pot call you like and learn how to use them. I wouldn't worry so much about the brand. But that's just me I just want to kill em I don't want to sweet talk them to death. ;)

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I can’t say enough about tobacco row custom calls Jason (TarheelTurkey) on the forum is a great guy and makes a great call.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Your right so many choices. Its all on what you wanna spend pretty much any will get job done from customs to Wal-Mart stuff. For beginner I'd just get what I could afford and learn it well lots practice outside learn how hold pot and striker and the cadence of hen sounds. A 15 dollar pot fall will call em in same as 150 dollar one if you use it right

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Wing bone calls are free to make. Mouth calls are next to nothing. I think I paid 10$ for a plastic head hunter pot 10yrs ago that I like the sound of. You can make a call from a soda can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchunter78

Six Pointer
You are going to get a lot of opinions but I like these calls so much that I have to mention them:

His calls are not cheap but I love the quality. Also, he makes his box calls very user friendly in my opinion. If you want to try them in person, he usually attends the Dixie Deer Classic every year...first weekend in March this year I think.

David Halloran Turkey Calls

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking to get a box call and slate call for this season, with so many brands to choose from and not having a ton of money to spend. I wanted to see what y’all recommend for a good price and sound?

I’m sure I have something you can have. Where are you located? I may have one of both.

I have 3 that I won’t part with: lodge creek slate/crystal; Cody slate and a Billy White Hustlin Hen.

Last edited:

Wv67

Ten Pointer
If your just starting and learning , get a box call and (some chalk ) look at your local shop , or a pot call , Practice yelps and clucks , keep it simple and soft and don’t call every time he gobbles you will learn fast if you pay attention good luck it’s addicting

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Like DBCooper, I've got some spares around the house. PM me a mailing address and I'll send you something useful. I'd be happy for it to get back to work.

Jim

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LMBO! I picked up a Primos kit from WalMart when I started. Played the CD, made putts and kee-kee runs with the diaphragm calls all the way home from work! Came with a Power Crystal too that I still have and use. Killed a good bird my first time out with the Power Crystal....

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
You'll probably get a lot of different recommendations but I suggest you go to the Dixie Deer Classic and try a few out. There will be many to choose from and the vendors will be happy to also give you a quick lesson on how to use theirs. I've bought my box call there and my push button call and they both serve me well. I've also bought several different strikers for my Lil Deuce slate call that was the first and only slate call I own. Plus you might find a few other things there that you didn't even know you needed.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
Simple effective economical:
Lynch world champ box
Glass slate I like Dead End brand
Straight triple reed mouth Quaker boy, or Nature’s Voice custom . What matters most is your calling sequence & setup. I’ve heard god awful callers call in monster toms. Just go check YouTube videos. Learn when to call & how much. What volume etc .

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use a Lynch box call too......I own about 15 box calls but this one still gets it done. I carry a slate and a mouth call and that's about it. Usually less calling is more effective......just give him enough to know you are there!

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
ML Lynch Foolproof Model 101 & Quaker Boy Grand Old Master for someone just starting and for off the shelf good quality and sound. These arent so cheap anymore considering that in the early 90's I bought mine for < $20. All you will ever need, unless you are like many of us and go overboard with your box call collection.