Buying a tacoma trd offroad...

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
FYI the 4runner is not even remotely the same since they stuck to the old transmission and engine combo. Most of the modern complaints on the "new" tacoma are the new engine and transmission combo.
Plus the 4 runner doesnt have the lane departure, collisions avoidance etc. Many off roaders don't like that stuff
Thanks yeah I mentioned the lane assist. A prior poster reminded me the new Taco is the 3.5. I’d better buy another Runner before they go the same way. Have a ‘00 Sienna that just broke 100k but it’s getting on in years. Undercoating looks like new, a tiny bit of rust on any hood chip but that’s it so far. Living in/near the rust belt now though it’ll grow in guessing.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
For those of you towing boats and trailers, how far are you towing and what kind of terrain? I'm seriously considering getting a 2-3 year old Tacoma after a lifetime as a Chevrolet man.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
For me about 4 hrs for a weekend hunt trip and 12 hrs for long weekend camping.
Boat about 2 to 3 for a day trip.
Want to say the current truck about 50k range has had a trailer hooked to it 15k miles or more. The computer tracks it for my ATV trailer but does not with boat, no brake connector.

There is a lot of difference in a guy towing 30 min vs 3 to 6 hrs. Also towing at speeds 60 to 70 vs 45 to 50mph for 30 minutes on a back road.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
^And you thought a Taco was the right tool for the job?!? A trailer behind you for roughly a 1/3 of your driving time...

😂 😂 😂

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Ah thanks for the reminder, I went out of my way to get the 4.0 before the 3.5. I’ve seen a few of the earlier VVTIs self destruct. I’m leaning more and more to proven tech vs. crazy back bends to meet EPA requirements and such.
Toyota has been using VVTI for a long time. IT's a solid technology on the whole. The 4.0 has it too, as does my 07 4Runner.

I skipped the truck. Left work to go see it, it all checked out. Sat down at his desk and he acted like he never said 31300 out the door, wanted 33500.

Oh well, there are 100 more within driving distance.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I think it was fairly new in the first Highlanders. I believe it came out with the Celica GTS. I haven’t popped the hood much on the 4Runner so hadn’t noticed.

I’m still a huge fan of the 3.4. Wish they’d go back to that for a slightly smaller engine.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think it was fairly new in the first Highlanders. I believe it came out with the Celica GTS. I haven’t popped the hood much on the 4Runner so hadn’t noticed.

I’m still a huge fan of the 3.4. Wish they’d go back to that for a slightly smaller engine.
My Dad has the 3.4 in his 04 Tacoma. That truck would certainly outdo my buddies 17 Tacoma... in both towing and mileage. I’ve pulled a Polaris Ranger, and a Polaris 500 Sportsman with it back and forth to Ga multiple trips. Even with both of them on the trailer the truck never struggled, merely a down shift on a few longer uphill stretches. And it got 22 mpg while pulling the trailer.

I’ve been trying to talk him out of that truck for awhile.... he says nothing doing...lol!

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I skipped the truck. Left work to go see it, it all checked out. Sat down at his desk and he acted like he never said 31300 out the door, wanted 33500.

Don't be surprised if they call you tomorrow saying lets deal. Last day of the month, got to meet those quotas. $2k is within a save the deal where the big boss will make the call.

Don't be surprised if they call you tomorrow saying lets deal. Last day of the month, got to meet those quotas. $2k is within a save the deal where the big boss will make the call.

Yup I figure there is a chance he calls. Even if not there are plenty more to see.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns

Funny how it changes. Sales manager tried his way with me and I made him squirm bad. I wasted his time like he did mine.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny how it changes. Sales manager tried his way with me and I made him squirm bad. I wasted his time like he did mine.
My Dad is a big fan of the laugh and walk away tactic. I’ve heard him say on multiple occasions ” You must think I’m stupider than you look.” Or the classic ” You ain’t too bright are you boy?”

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
^And you thought a Taco was the right tool for the job?!? A trailer behind you for roughly a 1/3 of your driving time...

😂 😂 😂
Yep, and I was wrong!

But if you look at all the specs, rated to tow 6500 lbs.
And I took to heart what all the koolaid drinking Taco fanboys on here said it would do great and they tow all the time, tow cross country with 15mpg and never have a problem.

Note to self, never trust a Taco Fanboy.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Yep, and I was wrong!

And I took to heart what all the koolaid drinking Taco fanboys on here said it would do great and they tow all the time, tow cross country with 15mpg and never have a problem.

What about a pre-taco fanboy? Ive seen someone deliberately try to blow one up (over 1 hour redlining with no oil will do it). Mine ain't worth a chit towing and I've never even hooked a trailer to it but that's what the tundras for...I can look at a newer tacoma and tell you that you don't want to be towing 6500 with it

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Yep, and I was wrong!

I can honestly tell you I've towed 4-5k lbs with mine without issue but I'd damn sure be hesitant to tow 6500. Stopping and starting with 5k is about the limit for me.

It's dang sure not a perfect tow vehicle.
As a daily driver, hunting, semi-offroad, and occasional towing vehicle, I think they're an awesome choice (the old ones with the 4.0)
If I was pulling a trailer as often as you I'd likely choose a different truck.
I love my yoters, but I try to look at things logically and I'm definitely not a taco fanboy, and I'll tell you they have their shortcomings.

Fishhunt-365

Eight Pointer
I’m kinda stunned. My Tacoma has been perfect from day one. Haul stuff , beach driving , and pulling my 8n. That’s with lift tires. 2018 trd off-road long bed. Never an issue. Same with everything you buy these days there is lemons in all. I’ve had several new trucks and everyone of them has had a recall or two

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Long time Tacoma owner and fan, but I have heard alot of complaints about the 3rd gen Tacomas. IMO they are the best looking Yotas though.
I've owned a couple and they both were what I consider bad on gas for a small truck but they are tough as nails and do hold their resale pretty good. I use them strictly as my hunting vehicles and they are great for that.
They still make a manual if the hunting for gears seems like a issue with the auto transmission.

Have you lloked at the new Frontiers? IMO they look great and have more power and are suppose to get decent gas mileage.

Doodledoo

Button Buck
Anyone here own a tacoma? Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 tacoma and I want to make sure I’m not getting screwed on price. It has just under 50000 miles and is pretty clean all over. The number we are at is $31k.
I would go for it. I bought my son a 2013. Runs great, drives smooth.. there is a reason they hold their value. It will out last the rest and keep its value. Buy the truck.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
yeap,,,

• trucks
  • guns
  • houses
  • fishing poles
  • bananas
  • boats
  • peppers
  • ATVs
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc

name a brand and 80% of posts will tell you to buy a different one,,,,,,,
I’d like to add :
-work/hunting boots
-Turkey decoys
-side dishes and/or veggies
-meat seasonings/spices/preferred method of smoke application and wood/charcoal/pellet type
-covid 19 vaccine producing companies
- catch and release thread...uhh...specimens?

But hey, I do enjoy the objectivity and banter nowadays. Luckily I’m a thrifty dude and haven’t regretted any input based on a major purchase like a truck. But I know I’m responsible for my own decisions. Now 4 years ago as a brand new outdoorsman? :skeerd: You should see the dang hodgepodge of gear I’ve got 🤣

Although there’s one full proof product every dang consumer on this forum can agree on. The coveted HEN IN HEAT 🥸

Cant comment on Tacomas but I do relate to OP’s comment about F150s in tight quarters. I’ve had some “interesting” times in mine bear hunting in the mountains. Haven’t gotten stuck tho. Problem solved tho...got this for the wife as a thank you for putting up with the fact that I’m an acquired taste.
8B2D710B-54C6-4A33-BF72-EB5881C0B036.jpeg

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Long time Tacoma owner and fan, but I have heard alot of complaints about the 3rd gen Tacomas. IMO they are the best looking Yotas though.
I've owned a couple and they both were what I consider bad on gas for a small truck but they are tough as nails and do hold their resale pretty good. I use them strictly as my hunting vehicles and they are great for that.
They still make a manual if the hunting for gears seems like a issue with the auto transmission.

Have you lloked at the new Frontiers? IMO they look great and have more power and are suppose to get decent gas mileage.

I'm not sure that would change my mind based on the torque of the engine. Lets face it that whole engine and transmission came out of a car. The trucks needs more low end torque for me. I'm with you....I was a long time fan. I was too much fan because I bought the 2016 without driving one prior. My wife has a 2018 4 runner....still has the old engine/transmission setup....I love it. If they had left that setup in the tacoma...I would still have mine.

EMB

Ten Pointer
My son bought a 2008 Tacoma un-badged TRD 4X4 extended cab last spring. 110,000 on it and got it for 8K. Since I know the person and how he took care of it, it was a steal. The person already had done a 2" lift, 18 inch tires (needed replacing) and rims, full racks, basket, all kinds of custom add on's including a S/S exhaust system and gave him the old exhaust and anything he took off. I looked up values on these things and the same year with 150K mileage any advertised price was close to $16K which shocked me. My sons truck runs great and has no issues, so a great deal for him. By the way trade value is at $13.5K for his vehicle at the dealership, not bad.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have a 2007 Tacoma TRD 4x4 double cab; has about 217,000 miles on it with no issues. I did upgrade the radio and speakers this past summer.
Great truck as it is my 2nd vehicle, weekend ride. But if I needed a daily driver, and/or when I eventually get another truck, it will likely be a full size.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The person already had done a 2" lift, 18 inch tires (needed replacing)
Why the Lift? Most those trucks will run a 31" tire just fine... but they run out of power with a bigger tire combo.

Never seen anyone with a lifted truck and sporting 18" tire.... was it a low rider?