Buying a new truck

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I despise buying a new vehicle and dealing with a salesman, although I do like to have a fairly new one for my wife to drive and to use on trips.

Im a Toyota guy but the new Ranger looks good to me also and probably a better ride on the highway.
Either way, Ranger or Colorado will suit you fine Im sure.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
@Mr.Gadget It is a Bighorn 1500 quad cab 4x4. I needed it for a new gig.

I will add that the Ford dealer was offering a great deal on the new Ranger. He was willing to take more off than I ever thought they would, so I imagine getting a deal would be fairly easy no matter where you go.

New dealers are a little light in the used department due to auctions being closed. Basically I was told at 2 different places that they currently either only had what they had for the last few months or what has been recently traded. The Ford dealer I went to said he normally had 40 used trucks at any given moment and only had 2. Just a thought but I think as the auctions open back up, there it might get even better as there is a lower than average amount of sales taking place and the used vehicles are still there.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Find what you want, make offer. They accept or you walk away. Make reasonable offers and sooner or later someone will want to sell you a truck. 1st rule is don't fall in love with a vehicle that you must have. It took me a while last time but I finally found a dealer wanting to sell a truck, they dropped my offer by $1000, if I were to buy that day. Well, I have been driving it since. Patients. I described myself to the sales managers as the one on the left side of the price curve, on those auto sites. I got a good laugh from one where I made an offer and they would not drop $500 more to meet me. I did not buy that truck, but over the next month or so I saw them drop the price below that and move the truck to several different dealerships they owned. Thought about contacting them saying you should have sold it to me when you had a chance. The sales manager was a, well this is a family friendly forum.😁

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless you dont care about money I wouldn't buy new. Way better deals on used vehicles. If you buy new you will always lose money. But hey its your money.

That is not the least bit accurate unless you intend to change vehicles every couple of years. I always buy new, drive it at least twice as long as it takes to pay it off. Used trucks are stupid expensive unless they have huge mileage subsequently maintenance cost. I am not talking about a beater truck mind you.

When I bought my 2017 in October of 2016, after my 2007 was totaled by someone not paying attention on the highway, I looked at used.. I could have saved between 5 and 10K to get a 2 or 3 year old truck with 50K plus miles on it.. no way that was worth the warranty, service, maintenance etc. Over the life of a truck 10K adds up to pennies a month in cost and you get the latest tech that you know 100% for sure how it was treated.. (well save for that 7 miles it had on it when it got to the dealer)

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Haven't had a car payment since November 2000. Paid cash for a 2001 Dodge Durango and 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 on the same night, Dec 28 2000. Still driving the Durango and drove the wheels off the Ram. Bought a used Dodge Dakota when the ram fell apart. Wife was gifted a 2011 Honda CRV from wife's parents with only 40,000 miles on it. Dont plan on ever having another car/truck payment.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They are replacing the apim. No, I haven’t paid for anything. All have been covered by warranty, but it’s a pain carrying it to my dealer 40 miles away each time. Last episode they kept it for 3.5 weeks because Ford was not building parts per my dealer.

If you’ve put three in and are still having issues, press them to search for other causes. Sounds like your truck may have a TCU that could be causing issues, or the modem. Just spitballing things I’ve come across

As for parts being hard to get, that’s very true. Ordering has been limited to much more limited times and multiple plants have shut down. It’s been a very big inconvenience and hard to explain to customers. Hope you get straightened out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Do your research, be reasonable on your offer (can't be a crazy low number), and be willing to walk out the door if they say no. If you make a reasonable offer they will almost always call you and ask you to come back. I've done this several times and they normally call within a couple hours of me leaving and ask how they could earn my business. I tell them the same offer and they have to check with a manager and call me back. Theyve always agreed to this approach and normally saves me quite a bit.

Also if doing a trade in, know your value. A lot of places will give you a good purchase price but try to make up there money on low balling you on the trade in. It's challenging to get good offers on both ends but if you have all the facts and numbers they can't argue.

mdunker

Ten Pointer
For those of you looking at Fords I highly recommend Crossroads in Apex. I have been dealing with the Triad dealers for a week and was getting no where. From the above advice I called Crossroads. In an hour over text and email I had a deal in place within a couple of hundred of where I wanted to be. This included a trade for a vehicle they had not seen.

I drove the hour down there and 90 minutes later I was on the way home with the Ranger. They apologized that it took so long but it was really busy. A bunch of people buying vehicles. That place is crazy huge. When we got there the truck was indoors in the air conditioning and already cleaned up and ready to roll.

IMG_2580.jpeg

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I have almost always bought used. I try to find a truck with less than 20k miles on it. I also like to find certified used. Know what my trade is worth. Offer retail to retail or trade to trade plus a bit for profit for them. It normally takes 7-10 days to buy a truck. I am not afraid to walk out and I don't get emotionally involved in the purchase.