buying a new 50 to 60 in. zero turn under 4000 advise please

Higgins

Ten Pointer
Terrible mower but good warranty. I have had over 30 parts replaced under warranty in 3 years on my Raptor SD. Only the engine Kawasaki is original. Only 139 hours. Even replaced the entire deck last year as it was rusted out. Dealer said hustler sent out a lot of rusted decks and just painted over them. My next mower will be green.
That's strange ,my BIL and I both have the 60in with just under 200hrs each and the only thing we have done is replace the belt on his (not the machines fault it was cut) blades oil and filters.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
lust moved from knotts island to chesapeke va ...hustler raptor review scares me a bit ..maby ill look at the john deere z525e its home depot but it has the upgraded drive system just dont know about the briggs and stratton engine

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Terrible mower but good warranty. I have had over 30 parts replaced under warranty in 3 years on my Raptor SD. Only the engine Kawasaki is original. Only 139 hours. Even replaced the entire deck last year as it was rusted out. Dealer said hustler sent out a lot of rusted decks and just painted over them. My next mower will be green.

That sounds like the definition of a lemon. If that is a typical experience, I can't imagine they would be in business right now.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You name it and I've used it. I am a big fan of bobcat. Tough as nails and a workhorse.

Right now we are running hustlers. The only reason for the change is the service from our local bobcat dealer. No matter the issue it was a minimum two week wait on service. I can not be down a mower for two weeks.

Lot of guys in the business convinced me to go with hustler. Local dealer great to work with. Quick turn around on service and will give me a loaner if my machine down for a time period.

My take on Hustler after two years: (I run xone)
  1. Doesn't bite and hold as well as bobcat.
  2. Much easier to work on than bobcat.
  3. Not as comfortable as bobcat.
  4. Only issue I have had is belt keeps kicking off. They replace belt slide plate but still does it now and then. This can get frustrating. And belts are pricing if get damaged when they kick off.

Overall I am pleased with the Hustler. But I still like the bobcat better.

I did use the a Raptor when they were changing the plate. Was not a very comfortable ride. But big difference in XONE.

Don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
leaning twards hustler 54 in sd it is light commercial and is sold at reputable local dealer, land and coats, cheaper than lowes for same unit with cash purchase
I had the Hustler Fastrak 54" in about the price range you mentioned. It had the Honda Engine, but I see they use Kawasaki and Kohler now. The only problem I ever had with it was the drive pumps. They have probably solved that problem now, but mine were replaced a couple of times, and that's very expensive. I sold it and upgraded to the commercial x-series eXmark in 60" and have had zero problems after 5 years. I even take it to the hunting club sometimes and it sees some light bush-hog duties. BUT, I paid $10K for it. Don't regret a penny.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
That sounds like the definition of a lemon. If that is a typical experience, I can't imagine they would be in business right now.

I guess, a lot of folks have good mowers. I have not. But this is first hand real world experience so I wanted to share it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
lust moved from knotts island to chesapeke va ...hustler raptor review scares me a bit ..maby ill look at the john deere z525e its home depot but it has the upgraded drive system just dont know about the briggs and stratton engine

I’m thinking that model JD has a stamped deck.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought a 48" Cub Cadet Z-Force L , this is the beginning of it's 5th year cutting 3.3 acres. I cut around a lot of trees , bushes and other obstacles , not open lawn , so 48" is good.
The only drawback to the zero-turn for me is ditch banks , if the down hill wheel starts to spin then the uphill wheel will steer you right into the bottom of the ditch.
The Z-turn has cut my mowing time in half over the tractor type mower I had before'
I'll never go back to a tractor type mower.

Mike

I also have a cub cadet and I love it. 6 years and going strong. Only had to change oil, belts, back tires (which was my fault), and one pulley. I cut 4 acres and have had absolutely no problems. This includes cutting around pond and ditches. I have 2 ditches at about a 30 and 45 degree angle and cut them with no problem. I go across then, not up and down and have never slid down.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have a husqvarna residential mower and it has been great. From what I have seen they all are pretty decent and will do anything a homeowner needs. Lots of people will says you need a commercial grade or all welded deck etc. remember its just a lawn mower and generally just cuts grass. Its not a bush bog out mowing brush and tall this weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on your lot. There are a LOT of variables you need to consider. is your yard Flat or Bumpy? who is going to be doing the mowing . How big is the yard. Stamped deck is not going to last in sandy areas or if you mow over bare spots and small gravel hits the inside of the deck. I see stamped decks almost every day that have holes in them from sand or rocks.
I would never recommend a stamped deck in sandy areas.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I bought a Husqvarna MZ 60 when they were on sale couple years ago even got 0% financing for 3yrs. I love it so far I have 4.5 acres to mow and it makes short work of it.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
today i looked at scagg john deere and hustlers...was going back to get the raptor sd 54 in but looked on ebay and found a new raptor sdx 60 in deck for 4500 no tax and free shipping its 5400 from lowes... it will be here in 2 to 3 weeks ..dont know how much assembly is required but for 1000 bucks ill do it......its got a 10 gauge welded deck 22 inch tires and a kawasaki 24 hp motor

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
. Lots of people will says you need a commercial grade or all welded deck etc................

Sorry.....welded decks are a must!! Clean decks are happy decks too...... I own a toro.....son has the raptor.....twice(in a year) he has had a stick get in the drive belt and throw it off......pain in the ass....skip the hustler and don’t buy at Lowe’s or HD.......go to a Lawn equipment store with mechanics and a reputation to keep up.......

6mm250

Eight Pointer
I've seen many a riding mower go to it's grave because the stamped steel deck pooped out before the rest of the mower did.

I priced a replacement stamped deck once upon a time......it's not cost effective. A replacement deck (stripped) would have cost nearly half the price of a whole new mower.

Mike

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have a Gravely 60 inch commercial that I bought in 2012. It has cut a lot of grass with no issues. Not sure how their residential line is but I would recommend based on my experience.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
today i looked at scagg john deere and hustlers...was going back to get the raptor sd 54 in but looked on ebay and found a new raptor sdx 60 in deck for 4500 no tax and free shipping its 5400 from lowes... it will be here in 2 to 3 weeks ..dont know how much assembly is required but for 1000 bucks ill do it......its got a 10 gauge welded deck 22 inch tires and a kawasaki 24 hp motor

you need to remember 1 thing. when it breaks down Lowes will not work on it. Then you will have to take it to a shop that fixes them and you will have yours fixed AFTER the customers that purchased their mower from the Dealer with the shop.
Just something to consider.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen many a riding mower go to it's grave because the stamped steel deck pooped out before the rest of the mower did.

I priced a replacement stamped deck once upon a time......it's not cost effective. A replacement deck (stripped) would have cost nearly half the price of a whole new mower.

Mike

Yes, replacement decks are not cheap.

double

Twelve Pointer
Yes, replacement decks are not cheap.

My mower is 8 years old deck is stamped I probably mow more rocks than I should. The deck is still solid nor much more I could ask. How much extra does a welded deck cost over stamped. i mean they all use the same motors basically same spindles and blades. What is the real difference?

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
some of the john deere decks were 10 gauge stamped i wouldnt think the stamp would matter as long as it is heavy gauge....and ive always used a mobile lawn mower repair guy he comes to the house to work on mowers nd is very reasonable

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
My mower is 8 years old deck is stamped I probably mow more rocks than I should. The deck is still solid nor much more I could ask. How much extra does a welded deck cost over stamped. i mean they all use the same motors basically same spindles and blades. What is the real difference?

The difference in price is usually around 300 bucks if the rest of the mower is the same. The difference in the deck is that it is a lot stronger being a thicker gauge and welded and toro welded decks have what is called a bull nose where the front bottom of the deck is beefed up.....

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Bought one of the new cub cadet zt1 zero turns. Only ran it the one time, and it mowed pretty well. No issues with bogging down in tall grass and handled my ditches better than I expected. Was pretty reasonable on price. Got it for just over $3k.

thandy

Ten Pointer
Going to resurrect this thread looking for some input…

Been looking at a couple mowers primarily a Bob-Cat XRZ Pro RS, Scag Patriot, and Ferris ISX 800. All three are within a couple hundred bucks with 0% financing for 36 months and no payments till may. Now here is the kicker… The same place has all 3 and the also have a Gravely Pro-Turn 260. The Gravely is test mower Scag bought to test against their own mowers. It’s a huge upgrade and more mower than I need for only slightly more money… 27hp, 61in cut, commercial mower. The bad is the financing for this mower is different and will probably be 2.9ish. As great as the Gravely sounds I don’t think I would ever get full usage out of it.

I am leaning toward the Bob-Cat and the 6 year warranty. Anyone have any advice or anything else I should look at before deciding???

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
got 500 hrs on a cub cadet sz60 commercial ,mow 4 acres or so and around chicken houses had very good service out of it

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Actually, I got nothing that will help you. Try them all and make your decision on what you like the best. Nothing like riding and mowing for a bit so you can see if the machine fits you. Just make sure to mimic the real life situation you will be in...

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All I can tell you about a Gravely is, I have a cousin that has had a commercial grade Gravely for 15 years. He told me recently that in all that time, it has never been in the shop and only had to replace a few parts on it due to wear. I'm thinking of getting a 60" commercial grade Gravely from the Big Blue store next spring. We moved at the end of May and I now have close to 3 acres to mow.

Fudd

Four Pointer
I do not have the zero turn but I do have 2 of the tractor style Gravely. One of them I have had for 35 years and the other one I have had for 23 years both have been very good mowers with very little trouble. When I replace them it will be with another Gravely.