Butterflies / Plant ID

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Did a little fishing with the wife last week, and had a picnic on the shore up at Kerr Lake. Found these bushes covered up with butterflies. Can somebody post a plant ID? The wife wants to see if we can plant some in the backyard. :unsure:

Attachments

• Butterfly1.jpg
    Butterfly1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 34
  • Butterfly2.jpg
    Butterfly2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 32

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Nice pics. Sorry, I don't know what plant that is.
But if your looking for a plant /bush to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Look up butterfly bush, they come in several colors and smell great.
Some folks call it summer lilac too.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If you want a fun project with kids or grandkids, raise some black swallowtails. I did this with my daughters. In the spring, we would plant parsley seeds in a pot. Around July, we would place the pot with parsley out on the deck. It would only take a few days to get some eggs laid on the parsley. At that point, I would put the pot inside my screened deck. If I didn't, too many eggs would be laid on the plants. We got to watch the caterpillars grow from tiny black dots to large green ones. Often I had to supplement the parsley since the caterpillars had chewed down all the plants.

At this point, I put the pot in a 5 gallon bucket with a screen on top. The caterpillars form a pupa. After a few weeks, I'll have black swallowtail butterflies to release to the wild. It's a good educational project.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The plant is called Button bush. Comes in lots of different varieties, likes moist, well-drained soils. I believe the wife has a few of them in our yard somewhere.......

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
You can also grow buttonbush from live stakes. Simply cut a 18" long piece of the "parent" tree and push it into moist soil.