Butner Gamelands - Waterfowl Impoundments

trjr3700

Button Buck
For those who have hunted the impoundments at Falls Lake, which do you think is the best? What has your experience been with these impoundments. I have hunted Falls Lake for a number of years and I know it is crowded, but wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
For those who have hunted the impoundments at Falls Lake, which do you think is the best? What has your experience been with these impoundments. I have hunted Falls Lake for a number of years and I know it is crowded, but wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks.
Now is the time to find out...scout them and figure out which ones look the best. By that I mean, which ones are well planted or growing with food. They aren't filled with water right now.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Waste of time and effort now I’m 35 with kids.
never saw more than a few birds. Duck hunting is playing the lottery on public. One day blue skys the next day ducks are there.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
never saw more than a few birds. Duck hunting is playing the lottery on public. One day blue skys the next day ducks are there.
fixed it for ya^^^

I’m always told “should’ve been here yesterday , ducks were here”

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
It's that way generally in the piedmont. Hope for a nasty front east/north of us to push bigger numbers in.
Now is the time to find out...scout them and figure out which ones look the best. By that I mean, which ones are well planted or growing with food. They aren't filled with water right now.
Further elaborating on this...For reasons (staffing, budget, planning, weather,) some of them get planted in crops that later get flooded, some of them just grow up in moist soil plants, some of them don't seem to have much of anything. And that can vary.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I live near them and have not seen them planted in years. Last year depot had a gate open and it never did fill all the way up. Two years ago flat river was also about 2 feet lower than the year before. I've had one good hunt out of about 10. I've drawn flat river every time I have applied I guess because nobody applies for it. I haven't applied in 2 years. It's a waste of time.