Busy night

thoma018

Button Buck
Killed 3 copperheads from 8:30 to 9:45 pm tonight: my place is clean, no rodents, they sure are crawling...one under shelter at garage. One on sidewalk, last one in front of garage door....watch where you step!

Attachments

• 278BC659-C34A-4250-98B7-365560D31D81.jpeg
    278BC659-C34A-4250-98B7-365560D31D81.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 176
  • D594A953-CCCC-44EC-A4DB-04226CB58661.jpeg
    D594A953-CCCC-44EC-A4DB-04226CB58661.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 9845B1F7-218E-48FD-9155-7235BDF4D3B2.jpeg
    9845B1F7-218E-48FD-9155-7235BDF4D3B2.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 173

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Well, at least you know why you didn’t have a rodent problem. That’s an eventful evening right there.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That’s why daddy taught NEVER step or reach where you cannot see!
So use flashlights at night.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Maybe it is just the picture but the all look small from what I'm used to . You sure they aren't just young and the rest of the family is still around?

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Jake nailed it. A Wildlife damage control agent I know removed 20 copperheads in two days from one residential lot in New Hanover county some years ago. They were congregated on a small area where cicadas were emerging.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
With all the hot weather and storms in the evening they have been really active. My GF got tagged 3 weeks ago while we were walking the dog.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My brother in law’s dog got bit in the face Sunday night. Fortunately the first bite was a warning and no venom. Vet told them they are seeing more bites from rain and cicadas.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
They’re thick in Raleigh this year too. A nearby neighborhood had 3 bites in 2 weeks. One young girl wearing flip flops, one guy in his garage. Friend in same neighborhood had 4 around house already. Several around my house too.

thoma018

Button Buck
interesting behavior change in the copperhead targeting cicadias as posted in the Tulsa paper. Haven't noted any cicadias especially. I do have a boat load of toads this year--that may be the attractant. FYI i just finised a walk around my garages and shelters just to see if I might happen upon another......nothing seen tonight---temp, humidity, lunar--something had them turned on last night. This rocky top hillside has always been generous with copperheads and I have killed 3 in a day before but not 3 in an hour and a half, none of them "together".

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Killed this one in my woodpile a couple of weeks ago. Was moving wood, picked up a piece, and he was underneath, but quickly disappeared. Three hours later I was able to kill him in the same spot. Five rapid fire snake shot from S&W M442 at short range, he was DRT. A close call for me since I was not wearing gloves and put my hand within inches of him, but I survived and he didn't...

Copperhead.png

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Dang man....she alright ??
She’s going to make it haha. She took it like a champ, we talked to our neighbor doc and saved ourselves a hospital trip. An ibuprofen regimen and some rest was all that was needed.
It was a lot like a really bad sprained ankle. A lot of bruising and tender for 2 weeks. Yesterday was the end of week 3 and she was able to go for a run again.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Killed this one in my woodpile a couple of weeks ago. Was moving wood, picked up a piece, and he was underneath, but quickly disappeared. Three hours later I was able to kill him in the same spot. Five rapid fire snake shot from S&W M442 at short range, he was DRT. A close call for me since I was not wearing gloves and put my hand within inches of him, but I survived and he didn't...

View attachment 48086
Great shots

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

thoma018

Button Buck
Got another one....with the mower in the loriope border....

Attachments

• F3E2CE0B-A9E9-44B4-959D-8C4646FCEB2A.jpeg
    F3E2CE0B-A9E9-44B4-959D-8C4646FCEB2A.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 48

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
If you have cicadas take extra care around oak trees. Cicadas live and die around oak trees, and will drew the copperheads.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Some of you guys would have needed new pants if you were me today. Hiking at Shining Rock around 6000’. Stepped to the side of the 4x4 trail to let someone go by and heard a familiar rattle sound. Sucker was tucked up in the shade and didn’t like me standing beside it within a foot or two. Biggest Timber I’ve seen, easily pushing 4 feet if not more and thick as a man’s forearm. I counted like 7-8 rattles and the button. Surprisingly I wasn’t rattled, pun intended but definitely made me watch my step and beating the ground in front of me when going off trail after that.