Building a percussion muzzleloader

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
OK , so I know some of y'all have built a muzzleloader from a kit. I was thinking of trying this over the next few months. What are your recommendations for a first time builder ? I have some decent woodworking knowledge and various tools to work with. I was thinking of something fairly simple the first time out of the gate and maybe advance over time to something a little more involved later on . Thank for the advice !! P.S. , I would like to make my first one a .45 caliber percussion

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's a 50 but if I were looking at a kit these days this would be the one>>>

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
A stock stand, to support the stock, while other end is in a padded vise sure helps, and is way better than a table top gun vise or butler.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I built a Lyman Great Plains many years ago. I didn't put enough thought into finishing the stock and I was not happy with the color that tru oil gave me. To this day I am very still very disappointed in how it looks. It was originally finished in the white but after the stock color came out so bad I went back and blued it. I also sanded/buffed the rear end of the forend cap which made it fit loosely so I had to fix that. I wanted it traditional so I used the fixed rear sight instead of the adjustable and I must have nailed the position first time because it shoots great.