Bugs in the garden

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The garden has been growing great up until yesterday. I had some sort of tiny blue green larvae or caterpillars on my Brussel sprouts and discovered red and white bugs all over my tomatoes. I believe they were aphids. I covered everything in diatomaceous earth but that all got washed off this morning. What does everybody use for bug control?

double

Twelve Pointer
Nit really anything better in a garden than 7dust or spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikep7m10

Six Pointer
For caterpillars there is nothing better than Bt (bacillus thuringensis). It comes as either a spray or dust. It stops them from eating. And it is not poisonous to people or birds - the birds can eat them. A bird feeder will help too. With more birds around, you'll have less bugs to begin with.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BT for the caterpillars and Neem oil for the rest, or you can do both on all plants and be covered. Neither is harmful to people and if you apply the Neem oil in the late evening it's not harmful to pollinators because it absorbs into the plant.
If you or your neighbors have bees sevin dust will kill the hive in short order if there is any that gets on the flowering part of the plant. Bees take it back to the hive like pollen and the queen is killed in very short order and the hive dies.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
BT for the caterpillars and Neem oil for the rest, or you can do both on all plants and be covered. Neither is harmful to people and if you apply the Neem oil in the late evening it's not harmful to pollinators because it absorbs into the plant.
If you or your neighbors have bees sevin dust will kill the hive in short order if there is any that gets on the flowering part of the plant. Bees take it back to the hive like pollen and the queen is killed in very short order and the hive dies.
I was at Southern States yesterday and could find any BT. Is there a particular brand name? Forgot to mention my bees to everyone. The next treatment of diatomaceous earth will be on the bases of plants and not near the flowers. That should keep the bees fine.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I buy my BT at Southern States, there are specific kinds for different caterpillars. In our local store it's on the same aisle as the natural fertilizers and organic stuff as well as ant baits and such.
https://www.southernstates.com/cata...icide-bacillus-thuringiensis-concentrate-1-pt
https://www.domyown.com/southern-ag-thuricide-bt-caterpillar-control-p-8938.html
This is the stuff I buy except for potato beetle larvae, they have their own BT for them. Neem oil takes care of the adults.
https://www.southernstates.com/cata...olorado-potato-beetle-beater-concentrate-1-pt

mikep7m10

Six Pointer
I was at Southern States yesterday and could find any BT. Is there a particular brand name? Forgot to mention my bees to everyone. The next treatment of diatomaceous earth will be on the bases of plants and not near the flowers. That should keep the bees fine.

Brand name for the liquid is Thuricide.