Buffalo suckers being restored to French Broad River

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
While buffalos are not native to most of NC they are native to the French Broad River and are found below dams but cannot get above dams.

So the NCWRC is transplanting buffalo and redhorse suckers from down in Madison County upstream above the dams to stretches of river where they used to swim.

Black Buffalo, Smallmouth Buffalo, and Smallmouth Redhorse transplanted this year

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Where I came from in Arkansas (close to Hot Springs) we had a spring run of Redhorse suckers and snagging was legal. I used to make a ton of money selling them as a kid..... That run, in that part of the state is as strong as ever but no one fishes for them any more.....

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Where I came from in Arkansas (close to Hot Springs) we had a spring run of Redhorse suckers and snagging was legal. I used to make a ton of money selling them as a kid..... That run, in that part of the state is as strong as ever but no one fishes for them any more.....
Their loss. Redhorse prefer clean, sandy and gravelly streams and with the exception of the little forked bones in them, they are some very good eating.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
There's lot of species below the dam, such as drum and sauger that can't move on up the river. I'm surprized that the enviros aren't clamoring for their removal

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
There's lot of species below the dam, such as drum and sauger that can't move on up the river. I'm surprized that the enviros aren't clamoring for their removal
Some people are

Sauger are a candidate for stocking but the WRC does not raise them

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
“Red horse” will fool you. There’s several different species of red horse and for my life of working in fisheries, they were the one fish that I never could master identifying. Yeah sure, it’s a red horse, but what kind of red horse is it?!?! Identifying them whooped my tail for 12 years. Some, the only way to determine is to count scales on the lateral line.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
“Red horse” will fool you. There’s several different species of red horse and for my life of working in fisheries, they were the one fish that I never could master identifying. Yeah sure, it’s a red horse, but what kind of red horse is it?!?! Identifying them whooped my tail for 12 years. Some, the only way to determine is to count scales on the lateral line.
for sure they are tough to identify. The v lipped one is a cool one I have been trying to catch.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Mack,

Do you know any way to catch buffalo suckers other than soft shelled crawfish?