Buck harvest down in the East

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting also despite a reduced bag limit harvest up 7% in western NC and little change in doe harvests in NW NC and Central NC.

Then again the changes were to reduce the deer harvest in eastern NC and not the rest of the state.

Mission accomplished

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So are we saying the decline in the deer harvest in the eastern two deer seasons is not real?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That is funny. How many western hunters you figure killed 6 does. I can 100% guarantee you changing that has no bearing on western deer harvest I'd bet my home on it

It didn't. The recommended doe limit for western NC was 2 or less. The WRC compromised going to 4 statewide.

Most hunters statewide don't even kill 1 doe (if the surveys are to be believed)

The goal of the bag limit reduction was to reduce or stablize the kill in eastern NC with possible minor impacts in the rest of NC.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
It didn't. The recommended doe limit for western NC was 2 or less. The WRC compromised going to 4 statewide.

Most hunters statewide don't even kill 1 doe (if the surveys are to be believed)

The goal of the bag limit reduction was to placate trophy hunters that got mad the neighbors were shooting “their” deer in eastern NC [/I]with possible minor impacts in the rest of NC.
Fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Long as the reported harvest is down it will make the trophy hunters feel good. Now that is the goal isn't it? Doesn't really matter what the actual harvest is as long as trophy hunters feel good.
The harvest totals are very accurate. If there are as many non-reporting hunters as you think there are, then we would see close to the same harvest totals as last year. The harvest totals for the east compared to last year are night and day. Not only does this prove the 2-buck limit worked, but it also proved the majority of hunters are honest and report their kills.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I will be interested to see next years numbers. Just wondering how much the flooding and weather conditions of this year had to do with the decrease in harvest. Time will tell.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The harvest totals are very accurate. If there are as many non-reporting hunters as you think there are, then we would see close to the same harvest totals as last year. The harvest totals for the east compared to last year are night and day. Not only does this prove the 2-buck limit worked, but it also proved the majority of hunters are honest and report their kills.
Like I said it worked, you feel good.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Any of you think Florence had a play in low numbers? Our club in Onslow had lots of deer on the cams prior to the storm. After, not so much. Fewer deer (I think to storm related mortality) and I’d say 25% of our hunters got hit hard by the storm and their focus was recovery. They didn’t hunt hardly at all. Club members wanted to impose additional restrictions on harvest for 2019. My rec was to let it roll until this season and see how things look. If it’s still low impose some limits.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
key word there is "reported" harvest. I doubt the actual kill decreased that much.

I dunno...People that broke the law before will continue to do so. I don't think that there are that many people that will suddenly go from abiding by the law to ignoring/violating it.

I really don't think that people (who otherwise follow the law) decide that since it was the law is more restrictive now, they won't follow it.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Any of you think Florence had a play in low numbers? Our club in Onslow had lots of deer on the cams prior to the storm. After, not so much. Fewer deer (I think to storm related mortality) and I’d say 25% of our hunters got hit hard by the storm and their focus was recovery. They didn’t hunt hardly at all. Club members wanted to impose additional restrictions on harvest for 2019. My rec was to let it roll until this season and see how things look. If it’s still low impose some limits.
The storms didn't affect the whole eastern part of the state. There are a lot of folks on here who seem to not be able to accept that a lower buck limit results in a lower buck harvest.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You can bet the storms played role heard from lot people flooded land downed trees add to that their own property damage kept them from hunting. Its little early after one year to come to any conclusion. give it few years and re eval

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
You can bet the storms played role heard from lot people flooded land downed trees add to that their own property damage kept them from hunting. Its little early after one year to come to any conclusion. give it few years and re eval
So what you are saying is that if we get no major storms this season then the harvest totals should be about 24 percent higher this year. Come on. Really?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So what you are saying is that if we get no major storms this season then the harvest totals should be about 24 percent higher this year. Come on. Really?
No I'm saying is anytime there is change before you can go off and say that is reason need few years of info and it may very well show that but its just smart to wait and see instead of declaring it after one year there are lot variables to just one season mast crop local EHD outbreaks storms. Why be in rush give it few years

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
No I'm saying is anytime there is change before you can go off and say that is reason need few years of info and it may very well show that but its just smart to wait and see instead of declaring it after one year there are lot variables to just one season mast crop local EHD outbreaks storms. Why be in rush give it few years
I agree...you need years of data...
Seeing the effects individually depends much on your club/neighbors.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Fair enough. Time will eventually tell the tale. Let's just say for now that the early results look encouraging for anyone interested in mature bucks. I've said all along when eastern clubs start seeing more larger racks, even the 4-buck-limit folks won't want to go back.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I think we can conclude the bag limit changes didn’t and won’t affect the rest of the state

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
One season's worth of data doesn't really show anything. Especially last season, since we had a lot of bad storms that messed up many people's season. I have no doubt that the 2 buck limit definitely saved some deer's lives, but I don't think it made that big of an impact.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Except in Richmond County, but they are not in the east are they